Maybe paint can rattle?

hogweed

Supercharged
Ride
Triumph Rocket III 2004
Thought i had cured the rattling noise by tightening the bolts on the radiator covers (it did make it better ) but after going on the Hogging the bridge ride out i noticed there was still a rattle,now i have taken all the radiator shrouds of except the stone guard and its still there even when hot .
As ive got a loud pipe on the bike it not as easy to hear as stock pipes ,anyway the rattle is coming from the right hand side top end area when revved to 2k - 1.5 k but it not as loud as other sound file videos ive seen on this site.
My next thought is to check the cam chain tensioner and installing the little spacer . Now my understanding of this is to put it 3rd gear and rock forward to remove slack,remove middle bolt of tensioner and measure from the bolt face down to the 2nd ridge if it more than 16mm i need a spacer, if less i dont ?
2004 rocket 111 with about 10,000 miles
Thanks

Cam chain rattle can sound like there's a small hammer banging in the frount cylinder, esp on overrun around 2k revs.I have the manual adjuster , & that's what keyed me into knowing is was slackening.( Went away when I tightened the adjuster)

I put the bike in gear and rocked it too and frow, put it in neutral took the centre bolt of the camchain tensionerand mearsured from the top face to the plunger and measured 22mm,no i guess i need to make the little spacer?

Cam chain rattle can sound like there's a small hammer banging in the frount cylinder, esp on overrun around 2k revs.I have the manual adjuster , & that's what keyed me into knowing is was slackening.( Went away when I tightened the adjuster)

Bones,

Since this is Rocket specific... can you articulate the steps you followed when you tightened your manual adjuster?

Bones,

Since this is Rocket specific... can you articulate the steps you followed when you tightened your manual adjuster?

Yeah sure, but I was going kinda by the seat of my pants here. Once I heard the rattle noise, I loosened the lock nut, then carefully tightened the adjuster screw, feeling for resistance. once I felt the torque significantly rise,I assumed that was the point all the slack had been taken out. Retightened the lock nut & no more rattle noise. I erred on the cautious side with the tightening,(under tightening at first) & had to repeat the process a couple of times to get it spot on.

Back