Question: later model engine be adapted to a 2005 bike ?

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Could an engine from a 2013 model year be dropped in a 2005 model year, using all the 2005 wiring/ECU, etc. etc. ????
I seem to recall someone doing this awhile back, but can't search up the post.:rolleyes:

Soooo, as of my last post, I had the front cover off, found the old style roller bearing had come apart. Replaced with newer pressure plate, etc. etc. However, had some slop in the shift linkage that I could not narrow down, and suspected the bolt (#12) in diagram, might be loose. Seeing no way to get to it, I put it back together, and all was fine till yesterday, 7/16/2020, when right in front of my home (thank you God), the bolt must have come out, as my shifter just flops up and down, like it's not connected to anything. Seems you have to split the engine, to get to the ****ed bolt. Hummm, 2013 engine is looking better and better. Only problem with it, is that from the wreck it was in, both of the rear mounting holes on the rear left side, are broke. Only half of the holes are left. I know it may seem drastic, but I think if mounted in the frame, and all the mounts tightened up, I think there is enough of the 2 mounting holes left, to hold. What say ye all ?????:oops:🥴o_Oo_Oo_O

rocketmount1.jpg
rocketmount2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo, as of my last post, I had the front cover off, found the old style roller bearing had come apart. Replaced with newer pressure plate, etc. etc. However, had some slop in the shift linkage that I could not narrow down, and suspected the bolt (#12) in diagram, might be loose. Seeing no way to get to it, I put it back together, and all was fine till yesterday, 7/16/2020, when right in front of my home (thank you God), the bolt must have come out, as my shifter just flops up and down, like it's not connected to anything. Seems you have to split the engine, to get to the ****ed bolt. Hummm, 2013 engine is looking better and better. Only problem with it, is that from the wreck it was in, both of the rear mounting holes on the rear left side, are broke. Only half of the holes are left. I know it may seem drastic, but I think if mounted in the frame, and all the mounts tightened up, I think there is enough of the 2 mounting holes left, to hold. What say ye all ?????:oops:🥴o_Oo_Oo_O

I would say that are more certain and pleasing ways to die

Not knowing what the engine casings are made of I'd be looking into the possibility of welding up something to fix those broken mounts. What is the engine case made of? Some kind of alloy? :unsure:

I think welding is out of the question, without possibly trying on a completely stripped case. Too much material drawing away heat, I think, would make a weld job "iffy" at best. I do have a nice TIG machine, but never tried aluminum yet. Just kicking things around. 2005 that has to be split to fix shifter, 2013 with broke mounts. Guess I just have a pile of spare engine parts huh?:(

Back