Maximum speed per gear before hitting rev limiter?

DanG R3T

.020 Over
Hey there! New member to the site but have had an 08 R3T since buying it new in April 2008. Great bike with plenty of gusto for cruising and touring, however, I have always been somewhat annoyed that the bike doesnt have a tach and really don't want to clutter up the bars with an aftermarket deal.

Does anyone know what the max speed is per gear before hitting the rev limiter?
Could use the speedo as a surrogate tach if I knew.....I suppose I could thrash my bike to find out, but thought I would ask in case somebody already has. Thanks!

Put it on a dyno if you really want to know, but for the life of me I don't understand why anyone other than a drag racer would care (other than general curiosity). I must be in the minority, however, and Triumph must listen to the masses pretty well because my Thunderbird has a tach.

I have a tach, I have a tach, I have a tach... :p

Curiosity mainly or for the occasional Harley embarassament opportunity (haha). The only other bike that I have had that did not have a tach (Suzuki Boulevard) listed this info in a chart in the owners manual. Kinda handy....

Well, FWIW, the dealer told me when I bought my 08 R3T that the bike runs right at 2300 rpms at 80 mph. I don't know where he got that info and I didn't ask as I don't ride that fast because I'm just so **** good looking, and I can't bare the thought of robbing the wimmins of the opportunity to feast their eyes on my perfectly shaped (and nefarious) buttocks, sculpted arms and chiseled jaw. :D

Well, there is that and I certainly don't think it is a good idea to rob the wimmins. But I do know it will do 70 in 2nd and go like balls from 60-80 in 5th. Just looking to fill in the blanks......fast is fancy in Ohio!

I regularly shift out of third into fourth at 3000 RPM,
or 85 MPH.
Of course, I shift out of second at that speed pretty frequently too,
but the revs are a little higher;)

...The only other bike that I have had that did not have a tach (Suzuki Boulevard) listed this info in a chart in the owners manual. Kinda handy....
I traded up from an '03 VL1500. Loved the bike. Love this one more!:D

I know it probably doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot on the street since the bike has such a huge sweet spot for shifting anyway with max torque coming in at 2000 rpm and max hp at 5400 rpm. Just kinda sucks not knowing approximately where you are in the rev range each gear.......how does the bike act when it hits the rev limiter?

Back