Maximizing Intake Flow

hombre

Nitrous
I know many owners have removed their secondary throttle plates, but has anyone else completely removed their secondary throttle rod and plugged the holes in the throttle bodies?

Just curious... :kk:

shafted

only a couple, as folk normally do not want to pay for the time for a small gain.On 150hp I think it was worth just under 1 1/2 hp,removing the sec plates made as much even with them locked open,just cause of the flow disruption they cause.I think difference would be less with forced induction as it will get in anyway.I am guessing though on that.

My thinking is with forced induction, there is greater disruption to the velocity of the intake flow, resulting in greater loss of throttle response. However, since I've had the throttle rod out since before my supercharger, it's just a theory... not an experience. But think about water... a rock will cause a greater disturbance in the middle of a fast moving stream, than it will in a slow moving stream.

Throttle Body Holes

Way back when I was building my first Honda 450. I took the carbs
and removed the choke plates and shafts from both. Cleaned the
holes and filled them with Aluminum epoxy/paste. After curing,
polished the bung holes. When carbs where at full throttle
there was nothing interfering with air flow through the carbs.
Had nice spun aluminium velocity stacks to top it off. Cold weather
starts where accomplished by covering one of the stacks while you
kicked it over (electric starter, Assembly, cables and battery)
removed to cut weight.

mjbell

Nice to another performance freak on the forum!

Since I was in the "neighborhood" today... snapped photo. She be flowin' some air! :cool:

Hombre

I work with centrifugal blowers and air movement systems so let me throw this out to you.
You talked about the rock in water thing, what you have to realize is that the flow in the stream never changes (has no restriction) were as in the intake you have one size opening in the first stage of the intake (filter area) then a smaller hole were it enters the motor. So unless you open that second hole VOLUME threw there is constant. So by putting the a velocity intake on you are changing pressure and speed of flow but not volume threw the secind hole so unless you have a blockage are restriction just before the second intake the rods shouldn't make any kind of noticeable difference.

Look at a garden hose one with the nozzle you adjust by turning. The hose can only deliver a constant volume of water but you can adjust the pressure and speed of flow buy opening or restricting the nozzle but the volume the hose can carry doesn’t change. So say you put a nail threw the hose about 6” up the hose volume at the nozzle with remain constant because of the restriction at the smaller end of nozzle. The small hole can’t move the same volume as the big hole so unless you can get more air threw a small hole than a big hole I don’t think you will notice any kind of difference.
Doe’s any of this make since or am I way off here.

What you need Hombre is a CFD computer modeling program the models flow. You put the design in (in this case a computer model of the R3 intake) and the program shows you how to improve flow. We have one here and it is cool watching how things can change the flow in a machine.

Back