Matazu LN Hard Bags on a Roadster

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
This will be a bit of a "day of install" review. Lets start with some pictures:

20160329_185458.jpg 20160329_185437.jpg

First off, price, it's crazy low. $99 shipped with steel brackets that are powder coated. Right off the bat you have to make some leeway in quality considering the cost, and there are reasons to do just that.

I ordered flat black, they are a **** near perfect match to the color tone and "flatness" of the Rocket 3 Roadster paint. They are missing the little bit of metalic fleck the rocket paint has, so they aren't 100% match, but close.

Thickness at the back side, where its mounted varies, but is between 1/8" and 1/4" across the whole back area, fairly stout for an FRP product, I dont see issues with strength if installed using the provided gromets and washers.

The locks, well, they are $99 bags. They are pure trash, but they should function as positive mechanisms to keep the bags closed. Two keys and little sliding lock insert covers. The cheapest part of the whole bag, are the sliding covers over the lock keyholes.

The bags are pretty well constructed, sealed with silicone at the seems and they open and close smoothly, despite being injection molded parts that are definitely hand assembled, obvious by the silicone work. The plastic is white under the black, so mind your tools and avoid scratching the bags.

They are a little flexible, they are are somewhat flimsy when compared with larger bags that are anchored better using fixed mounting points.

These do require you to drill the mounting holes on the back side. They provide rubber grommets to put in the holes so there is no hard part to hard part contact. You will need the next size up from 1/2" drill bit to get the grommets to fit in the holes. I made 1/2" work, but go one size up, like 9/16ths.

For 99 bucks, if they last a year, I'll be satisfied with them, only really plan on using them as a sort of motorcycle brief case, I ride to work and have to be able to transport paperwork around, so these should suffice.

They are quite narrow and total width of the back of the bike is less than the width of my Thunderbike Bars, so really, it changes nothing for me about riding dynamics except, that I'll limit my speed until I find out how the bike reacts at speed on the Freeway.

These are a 99 dollar functional item that looks "ok". Don't buy the Matazu LNs and expect anything show quality or even close to OEM quality bags, they aren't that.

Last edited:
Do they come with the tail lights?

Do you have a link for the bags?

So I decided to stop being lazy as, and wire up the rear end stuff. Here is a short, and horrible, video, but it does show all of the new lighting setup.

This video is slightly better than the last.

The Mataku bag lights will get replaced with brighter LEDS here pretty soon, as the stock bulbs are only somewhat acceptable. The brake light is a 6 side facing 2 CREE rear facing unit, massively brighter than stock.

Last edited:
Back