ody2002

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph R3 GT & BMW R12S
Hi all, new rocket owner here and I'm very pleased with the bike. It's definitely a revelation.

I had a few questions regarding the master ignition switch (US specced bike). The dealer told me to leave the master ignition switch ON all the time, as it would drain the battery otherwise (this seems counterintuitive). On page 94 of the manual, it warns that leaving the ignition switch ON with the engine stopped may cause electrical damage. Now the manual doesn't seem to use the terms ignition switch and engine stop switch consistently, so I'm thinking this warning is referring to the engine stop switch and not the master ignition switch.
  1. Does anyone know why keeping the master ignition switch turned OFF would drain the battery?
  2. Do you think the manual is warning about the engine stop switch or the master ignition switch?
  3. Is it best practice to keep the master ignition switch ON 24-7?
Thanks for the help.

Hello ODY and welcome from Virginia. I do not have the answer for you but that does sound odd.

The whole idea of a "master ignition switch" sounds daft to me.. Must be some trigger happy lawyer thing since we don't get it in the rest of the world?

Hi all, new rocket owner here and I'm very pleased with the bike. It's definitely a revelation.

I had a few questions regarding the master ignition switch (US specced bike). The dealer told me to leave the master ignition switch ON all the time, as it would drain the battery otherwise (this seems counterintuitive). On page 94 of the manual, it warns that leaving the ignition switch ON with the engine stopped may cause electrical damage. Now the manual doesn't seem to use the terms ignition switch and engine stop switch consistently, so I'm thinking this warning is referring to the engine stop switch and not the master ignition switch.
  1. Does anyone know why keeping the master ignition switch turned OFF would drain the battery?
  2. Do you think the manual is warning about the engine stop switch or the master ignition switch?
Thanks for the help.
These stupid switches are mandated for the bikes in the US with the key Fobs. I have one on my 2018 Tiger and My new TFC. FWIW: I leave it ON at all times. Have never touched them. Was advised by my dealer Service Tech whom is VERY sharp, told me to leave it alone.

It's just a safety switch used on most FOB bikes, won't drain battery either way, I recommend turning it off if your going to be poking around the wiring under the seat.

Obviously our Canadian bikes didn’t get the master switch, fine with me, don’t need it, don’t want it.

Thanks for the help.

Back