Master Cylinder-problem

MsLizz

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Triumph Rocket III
Okay.......... breathe..... took the bike in to have the rear tire changed in anticipation of my 9 day trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and Utah. (Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park)

Been planning this trip for 9 months. Leaving this Saturday. Friend flying in from the UK all systems go, right?! nope.

Local dealership putting on the tire, tells me something wrong with the brakes.

Needs a new master cylinder. Bike has about 31000 miles on it.

Thinking no big deal-replace it.

Part is not available till next week.

HELLO! I leave this Saturday.

Ever heard of a grown ass woman cry on the phone with the service manager? Yep that was me today.
Trying to find the part whether it be another dealership (out of state) or Triumph in Georgia.
IF they can find one, gonna also have to pay for overnight shipping $$$$$

WTF!!!

**** - there's not even enough time to get one over from England for you :(

Can't you get the dealer to bolt on any old rear master cylinder, Liz?

If not, who needs a rear brake anyway?

THe master cylinder on an ABS system maybe, on a standard system, no way does it need replaced.

Your right about the rear brake. You should use it only to bring the rearend down when you stop suddenly. Other than that it's about 90% front brake 10% rear brake. If you have the misshap of going into the dirt or gravel and you don't have a rear brake then your screwed. I feel bad for you and hope you get the problem resolved.

Not wise to ride the bike if the bikes rear brake isnt 100% - well I wouldnt. I am surprised that the dealer isnt providing more information about what the issue is other than "new master cylinder required". I am sure you will get one in time but would be interested to know what the issue actually is.

This is why I love you guys.... thanks for the info & support.
My crying (and the donuts I brought in this morning to the service dept) seems to have worked.
Triumph in Georgia will ship the master cylinder rebuild kit over night mail (my cost) and it will be done by Saturday morning.

I must admit, the information you guys have provided have not only educated me, but also makes me a bit leary of what we are really dealing with here.

I believe it is the master cylinder for the front brake that is shot and although I would have ridden with crappy rear brake because I hardly use it, it is the front and that is crucial.

Martin was very leary about this whole thing. I usually pump the right hand brake and it comes back a bit without issue but this was very sudden. so..... again, the lesson learned hopefully for the last time is, NOT to wait the week or less before your trip to check these things out! my bad.

Thanks to all you guys. Your the best!

glad you got sorted. would have sucked donkey balls otherwise. how the hell did a MC go south so quick?
if its a rebuild kit, i wonder did they open it for some strange reason and then damage a pressure seal on refit.. very easy do. id be grilling them on exactly what was wrong with the old one and how exactly did it happen.

i once rode 150miles with no front brake (rear brake was a drum brake too :oops:) but that was because the bike was my only mode of transport and i only rode to the place to get the rebuild kit. looking back i cant believe i did it :oops:

Glad you are getting it fixed. your font colour is very difficult to read.... or it may just be my colour blindness.

font color and size almost impossible to read for us old farts...

Master cylinder going bad just doesn't sound right. Seems like you might have been up-sold by a service manager. That's why I do my own wrenching as much as I possibly can.

Back