Map files confusing

domike

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 R
Hi Rocketeers,

I don't completely understand the differences between R3r maps available in the app and online.
In de Android app, I downloaded the R3r map with the right VIN range, loaded it in my R and drove a few hours. I think I felt more power but i'm not entirely sure I loaded a custom map or the stock map.

On the TuneECU site, there's also a file in custom-maps folder with a different name (All markets Rocket R No Ristrictions 31018Map.hex).
If I compare the two in the ECUapp it says they are the same map. Where is the download section in the app getting it's files from ?

thnx!

Hi Rocketeers,

I don't completely understand the differences between R3r maps available in the app and online.
In de Android app, I downloaded the R3r map with the right VIN range, loaded it in my R and drove a few hours. I think I felt more power but i'm not entirely sure I loaded a custom map or the stock map.

On the TuneECU site, there's also a file in custom-maps folder with a different name (All markets Rocket R No Ristrictions 31018Map.hex).
If I compare the two in the ECUapp it says they are the same map. Where is the download section in the app getting it's files from ?

thnx!
Might be same number but altered on the values table. Screen shot both & compare numbers.

Might be same number but altered on the values table. Screen shot both & compare numbers.
thnx, that would be al hell of a job, and still wouldn't tell what the map does, unless I dive in really deep to understand all the valuesin the tables.

Hard to answer when the question is not clear. You are asking where the maps are downloaded from, you should ask that on the forum for tuneECU imho but an educated guess would be Box

The other question was what the difference is between a custom map and a standard map, most maps have some basic description that explains what is changed. However if you want to know in detail then you need to study the map. For some maps in the custom folder/webpage the idea behind them are explained in more detail here. Like this thread Free unrestricted maps for Rocket R GT and TFC now online or Final dyno results unrestricted maps or Final dyno results unrestricted maps

Where is the download section in the app getting it's files from ?
From hxxps://www.tuneecu[.]fr/Maps/
The directory is not browsable, but the full list of content is at hxxps://www.tuneecu[.]fr/Maps/mapList.dat

As @Frans guessed, the maps here seem to be a mere copy of (or proxy to) those that are in tuneecu[.]net website's Box repository.
I agree it's confusing to have several maps sources (Website, in-app, Box) from supposedly same editor/publisher - but ultimately the OEM maps are the same in all sources.
To me, the more convenient and detailed option is web pages at:
  1. Triumph OEM tune list 3&4 cyl, list of Triumph original (OEM) ones - some bugs still, like exact revisions numbers from listings are sometime wrong: a Rev 03 for 2500 triumph Rocket 3 for instance links to a Rev 02 map as of today;
  2. https://tuneecu.net/Custom_Tune_list.html, list of "custom" (third-party made or modified) ones.

dont know beans about the 2020 up
the early ecu,s for example has numbers like 00001 now 5 people could take that map and change the map the way they wanted then save it to back to the tune ecu place then u woul have 5 different maps the the number 00001 this is the prob.
now there is a area that u can post on the map the changes that were made but no one seems to do that.
i think a lot of hanso but some of his maps were very rich gas miles drops a lot.

thnx, that would be al hell of a job, and still wouldn't tell what the map does, unless I dive in really deep to understand all the valuesin the tables.
The most significant thing that the custom map will do is in the ETV (electronic throttle valve) tables. If you compare the factory map to the custom tunes map you will notice that the custom map ETV tables will allow the throttle blades to open up to 100% when you twist the grip to its stop. This will be by far your most significant performance increase!!! When compared to the stock file you will see that even in the most aggressive ride mode (sports mode) the throttle opening will not be any more than around 65%

I would love to know what Triumph's logic was behind the decision to limit the throttle openings. After all, it is supposed to be a real muscle bike isn't it?
couple of possibilities....limit warrantee claims for the first few model years of a new drivetrain, Allow for a new and improved (and higher priced) Rocket a few years down the road with nothing more than a re mapping of software.

Back