Mad scientist, building a R3-powered sports car

JackMcCornack

.020 Over
Ride
2004 Triumph Rocket III
Ooh I love that Rocket III engine! I make DIY sports cars and parts for other homebuilders (google <Locost cars> or go to <kineticvehicles.com> to see what I'm up to) and I fell in love with the Rocket III powerplant, so I bought a bike that had been rear-ended and after riding it a bit, am fully convinced it's too much bike for me, but it sure would be great in a 1200 pound replica LeMans racer, circa 1960.

Right you are, Idk, reverse is...reversed.

Problem is, cars typically have the final drive pinion on the right side of the ring gear, and the R3 pinion is on the left. There are three possible solutions I know of:
1) Turn the auto axle over, left-to-right. You need to block off the vent, and emptying the lube will be a hassle, and on most axles it will raise the driveshaft.
2) Use a front axle (or front diff, for independent suspension versions) from a four wheel drive vehicle. They already go backwards.
The problem with both these solutions is it puts the drive shaft on the driver's side of center (for left hand drive cars, like in the US and Canada and such) which does encroach on cockpit space a bit. Leaving us with...
3) Design a new rear plate for the output shaft, and an adapter to connect the drive shaft directly to the transmission output shaft. The way it works on an R3 is there's a drive reverser built into the back of the engine, to accommodate the needs of the final drive in the wheel. In theory, this should be relatively easy (that is, relative to the difficulty of reversing the rotation twice).

May be difficult barbagris the guy retired in 2013.
I'd have been knocking on his door when he opened. I've always loved "2 front wheel" trikes.
Still remember see the first Triking back in the late '70's/early '80's - Went to test drive the Lomax 223 in the '80's too.

I'd have been knocking on his door when he opened. I've always loved "2 front wheel" trikes.
Still remember see the first Triking back in the late '70's/early '80's - Went to test drive the Lomax 223 in the '80's too.
Had a Phoenix trike way back in the early eighties,pretty nasty quality looking back now but still good fun with a 1500 motor and twin Weber downdrafts......just hated not being able to cut through the traffic even then.

Can you mate the Rocket output drive shaft to the input of a car gearbox via car clutch.. use its reverse?
Also if desired have a 'H' gear stick instead of sequential/dog box style, and be able to change overall gearing by selecting 1st, 2nd, hell maybe even 3rd in the Rocket engine trans, and use the car box for regular shifting?

That could be complete nonsense I'm just thinking out loud here.

Back