jaredmt

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Roadster
I don't know about the rest of you, but the various bits of luggage I've had over the years are always rather wide compared to the luggage rack (which is good, since the rack is so narrow).
The luggage has stiff components to help it sit straight, but it never lasts. It always comes down to having to rig it to keep it from sagging about the rack.

I'm curious what ingenious solutions the wonderful folk of this forum have come up with for this problem!

I don't know about the rest of you, but the various bits of luggage I've had over the years are always rather wide compared to the luggage rack (which is good, since the rack is so narrow).
The luggage has stiff components to help it sit straight, but it never lasts. It always comes down to having to rig it to keep it from sagging about the rack.

I'm curious what ingenious solutions the wonderful folk of this forum have come up with for this problem!

Yup...I can help with this one. I made a wider platform out of a piece of 1/2" plywood as I wanted to fasten a roll bag on rack for trips. I made 3/4" thick wood pieces that mirrored the slots in the rack to keep the board in position and then used an aluminum bar to quickly clamp it to the underside of the rack. 1/4" and 10-32 T-nuts were recessed below the surface and used to fasten every thing down including the bag. Solid as a rock and no more bag sag. You could barely see the board with the bag attached. I used some tape and rubber to protect the chrome as I didn't want any scratches. Since it went on and off quickly, I only put it on when I was going on a trip. I didn't want to muck up the looks of my bike for day to day use as I normally just set the bag on the passenger seat if I just need a little extra storage. I needed that space for another bag on a trip...thus the luggage rack board and mount for the tail bag. I used kind of the same principle for my sliding GIVI Top Case mount that I posted about. Here are some pictures that may help you get the idea. I included a several of the GIVI mount as well. Good luck.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 3
You've given me some ideas I hadn't thought of so I've picked up a few things and we'll see what happens. :)

You've given me some ideas I hadn't thought of so I've picked up a few things and we'll see what happens. :)

Glad I could help. By the way, I set the board just far enough back so I still had room to loop straps through the rack for attaching another bag on the seat during a trip. Don't totally cover the forward part of the rack if you want to do this. About an inch showing should be plenty.

Back