Lowering the rear of the R3

T Evans

Supercharged
Has anybody changed out the rear shocks for shorter ones? If they have what tire are they running and what if any other issues you might have had ie.. tire rubbing, reduced ground cleareance for cornering. The Rocket has this big gap above the rear tire and was maybe looking to close it down some and see if I liked the looks of it lowerd in the arss end?

When I bought my 06 Std, the previous owner had mounted the shorty Ikon shocks. They worked great until I tried to carry a passenger. Then it would rub the tire badly even when dialed to the highest preload.

Fortunately, the previous owner had the stock shocks and was willing to give them to me. No more rubbing.

Also, if you are considering going darkside, you may have to consider clearance on the sides of the fender rather than in the middle.

I have progressive 412s 11.5". Darkside 225/55/16. No rubbing or problems with ground clearance or even with 2 up.

What size in the Progressive 412 or 440 keeps the R3 closest to its OEM geometry? Are there any handling or performance advantages to be had by lowering the rear a bit?

Now thats what I'm talking about, 12.5 to 11.5 with a 225/55/16 CT and no rubbing or clearance problems with 2 up. Biker1059, do you have any pic's you can post? I would really like to see what it looks like. Is there a reason you went with the 412's and not the 440's?

I've got 1" lower 440's and I never run 2-up.

I got 440's for the adjustable dampening. I went 1" shorter than stock because I'm short (5'10").

I've never had a problem with 2-up obviously, but the 440's are a little too stiff for me at my weight (195) even with the standard springs, as opposed to the heavy duty springs.

I had the 412s from a previous bike. My camera broke about a month ago and haven't got another on yet but I think I have some pictures somewhere I can post.

This is the only one I could find, not very good, can't really tell much from the back

Last edited:
I've got 1" lower 440's and I never run 2-up.

I got 440's for the adjustable dampening. I went 1" shorter than stock because I'm short (5'10").

I've never had a problem with 2-up obviously, but the 440's are a little too stiff for me at my weight (195) even with the standard springs, as opposed to the heavy duty springs.

RatBoy, you must be my NC twin 'coz I'm the same height and weight (Who you callin' "short"?:)) and I, too, virtually never haul a passenger. Did you go the 1" shorter so that you could put your feet down flat-footed while seated? Would you have gone with the 412s knowing what you now know regarding the 440s stiffness? Hey, you can always hank on a 50 lb bag of rock salt or sand to the luggage rack for a slightly more compliant ride! LOL

I had the 412s from a previous bike. My camera broke about a month ago and haven't got another on yet but I think I have some pictures somewhere I can post.

This is the only one I could find, not very good, can't really tell much from the back

Is that a Potenza on the rear, biker1059? If so, what's your opinion of it?

Its a Faulken 452, rides great, holds the road like glue. I've noticed that its getting pretty close to the wear bars with not alot of miles on it but there's alot of tread left on the tire. I don't know what I'll go to next but it will be a CT

Back