coneye

.060 Over
Ride
rt3 , lowrider , xjr1300 650 v stromn
Hi everyone , just wondering if its possible to lower the Rocket Tourer , if so what would you do just buy smaller shocks , If you do lower it would it effect the handling , I done a search and notice a few have changed shocks on the standard rockets but the tourer seems to be a almost different bike.

Problem is guys at 5'7 the bike is too big for me i love it the wife loves it and when i'm going its fine , but get in to heavy trafficc , lights ect ect , where its go slow and put your feet to the floor , i'm afraid its a bit big for me , I come to lights if the wifes on the back i have to tilt it a little to reach the floor , the etxra weight and it feels like its gonna go over

I had the seat , shaved it did'nt work because its the actual width thats the problem , the seat height itself is not tremendously high its the width of the tank .

Lowering may be ny only option , if you can do it and if it does'nt effect the comfort and handling .

thanks in advance for your replys

Turning the rear spring adjuster to it's lowest setting is the most you can do without spending money. But yes, there are several rear shock makers that offer lower (shorter) shocks that could lower the rear a couple inches. Another option is the seat, saddle height is how most riders change how they touch the ground. An example of that is my Corbin Young Guns saddle, it is significantly lower than the stock seat. There are even guys who have gone to car tires just to use the available size choices to lower the seat height. I can't remember off the top of my head who it is, but he has two R3's, one for his wife and one for himself. They are both darksiders and she has a shorter tire for her shorter legs, allowing her to "flat-foot" at stops. Using any of these methods in combination will allow for significant lowering of the bike.
As far as effecting the handling .... the stock shocks suck, anything you do in that dept can only improve the handling. Going to the dark side (car tire) will change the feel some, but most of us love using them. If you have to stop with one foot on the ground, do something as soon as possible .... if you can't sit flat footed then that is more dangerous than changes to handling. Unless you aren't easily embarassed by dropping the bike (and your wife) at a traffic signal, what could be worse? :eek:

Last edited:
Hell fire , I had the seat shaved has much has they could on the saddle and the sides , problem seems to be the width of the bike , I bought the touring seat , that helps a bit putting me forward , but the issue is still the height.

I can't stand both feet flat its more an issue when i've got the wife on the back the centre of gravity changes , I've actaully just got off the phone from my dealer and he tells me IKON do a smaller shock for the rt3 , that is shorter by 35 mm , about 1 1/4 inches .

Not sure if this will be enough , dark side are out, here in australia , insurance would be void and a bike defect likely to happen .

Its a real difficult one because on the one hand , i did'nt buy the bike for round town i have another one for that , i bought it for long sunday rides and the occasional overnighter , with a few long tours a year threw in , and when i'm on the road me and the wife love it, me for the handling, her for the comfort .

But every time i come to slow traffic lights ect, and even the tight u turns ect , Then i relize its a monster , and with the wife on the back worry about the size , Would be embaressed to drop it , but thinking more the wife being wrong side of 50 bones break and don't heal like they used to .

Funny enough she's not has worried has me , she says , stop winging and harden the fack up ha ha . .

The normal rocket 3 though is different i can actually touch the floor with both feet on that due to the tank being different.

I wouldn't recommend platforms I tried a pair of boots with thick [allot thinner than these] soles and they were nothing but problems. Hard to fit under shifter pegs,had to pick foot up to get over brake pedal, made legs sore due to lack of space seat to pegs

Just a joke . I didn't expect it to be taken seriously:).

you said short cut.:D
i wonder if you can do the front forks like a Harley. put a 2 inch spring in the a spacer
then the main spring.

Hell fire , I had the seat shaved has much has they could on the saddle and the sides , problem seems to be the width of the bike , I bought the touring seat , that helps a bit putting me forward , but the issue is still the height.

I can't stand both feet flat its more an issue when i've got the wife on the back the centre of gravity changes , I've actaully just got off the phone from my dealer and he tells me IKON do a smaller shock for the rt3 , that is shorter by 35 mm , about 1 1/4 inches .

Not sure if this will be enough , dark side are out, here in australia , insurance would be void and a bike defect likely to happen .

Its a real difficult one because on the one hand , i did'nt buy the bike for round town i have another one for that , i bought it for long sunday rides and the occasional overnighter , with a few long tours a year threw in , and when i'm on the road me and the wife love it, me for the handling, her for the comfort .

But every time i come to slow traffic lights ect, and even the tight u turns ect , Then i relize its a monster , and with the wife on the back worry about the size , Would be embaressed to drop it , but thinking more the wife being wrong side of 50 bones break and don't heal like they used to .

Funny enough she's not has worried has me , she says , stop winging and harden the fack up ha ha . .

The normal rocket 3 though is different i can actually touch the floor with both feet on that due to the tank being different.

An inch and 1/4 is pretty significant. I would at least try that. My Darkside tires are an inch less in circumferance and that has made a difference for me. It also likes to stay up better with the flat car tire. What is your inseam? Mine is a 30" and I'm just touching flat footed. ;)

I'm not sure what the stock length is but I think progressive makes one for the rocket starting at 11.5" and increasing at 0.5" intervals up to 13"

Back