Lower wind deflectors

Rocketon

.040 Over
I had the lower wind deflectors fitted by the shop. They were positioned as per the fitting instructions and various pictures in the accessories catalogue confirm they were correct. When the steering is set to full lock, left or right, the upper mounting bracket hits the upper,middle plastic surround of the radiator. This has chipped the paint and gouged the plastic. Has anyone had this problem on their bike?

Nope they must be mounted wrong I guess - mine are fine. Maybe just need turning a bit - which is a b*tch as the rubber sleeves kinda grab, so maybe your dealer couldn't be arsed? I'd take it back and get it put right mate, including repairing any damage.

Yep! Took it to the shop and he assures me that they are fitted correctly. I can get the damaged plastic sorted under warrantee so not too bothered. The fella turned the deflectors upside down so that the brackets are between the top and bottom t-trees. As I do not have an upper fairing it works well but technically not correct.
It appears that this method allows more air to hit the radiator straight on. The deflectors also seem to be doing the job equally well. Shop fella said he could fit them correctly but would have to put thinner rubber mounts on the top of the rad. I don't think this would be sufficient and it might cause problems later. Somewhere there is something out of line?

They look exactly like the way I had mine. How much space is there between the back of the brackets and the rad when the steering is fully turned? Is it a couple of mill or much more?

Maybe we are gettin a clue here - the brackets are two piece but interlock at the front the arm of the brackets should leave the fork leg on the front side not the rear. Looking at mine the brackets come no where near the rad, even the deflector is 30mm (over an inch) away, have your brackets been fitted backwards - ie with the arm holding the deflector coming off the rear of the fork leg?

I am trying to download a picture of my brackets but with little success. My set up looks the same? I will take another look in the daylight and try some more pics. Thanks for your help. I think you may have cracked it. I will let you know asap. Cheers! Mike

Still can't get the pics to download. The two part brackets are set up like your picture exactly. At right angles to the plastic shield, at the back of the fork leg, is the join between the two halves of the bracket. This is what is doing the damage. I think the factory must have changed the style of bracket. Ah well a good reason to ponder over a few pints!
Thanks again.
Mike.

Back