Spartacus

.020 Over
I'm having a low idle issue. 2007 Classic with 23K miles. Only engine mod is under tank K&N air filter and breather filter. Bike runs fine except from start up on bike idles at 600 ish RPM and is a little lumpy. Apply just a hint of throttle enough to bring it up to 900 RPM or so and runs fine. I've run a couple of tanks of gas through it thinking maybe bad gas. No change. Suggestions?
Also, even though no mods to engine or exhaust, I think it's time to go TuneEC route. Can someone post link to proper cable and possible tune suggestion please?

1. Change the plugs. note: spray liberally into the plug recess with WD40, blow with compressed air to lift out the crap before removing the plugs (nb. 2 per cylinder). Use about 15cm or so length of garden hose to attach to the plug and carefully get the thread started before using a plug socket to avoid cross threading.
  2. Clean the K&N, re-oil etc.
  3. Check the exhaust manifold for air leaks (crack in the manifold, especially behind the heat shields, and leaky gaskets). Any air in the exhaust will screw up the O2 sensor.
  4. Get the USB cable (FTDI Chipset) and load the drivers into a fairly modern computer. It has to convert the USB into a serial port. ALWAYS put the cable into the same port every time else you will get a read error.
  5. Take the seat off. Remove the 2 fuses (20amp and 5 amp) for the headlights.
  6. Attach a charger to the battery.
  7. Attach the cable to the OBDII connector (located in a keeper near the fusebox)
  8. Disconnect from the Internet. Start the TuneECU software.
  9. Ensure the throttle cable has some free play (3-5MM)
  10. Turn key to start, Kill switch to on (don't start)
  11. Lower right hand corner of TuneECU should show an amber rectangle icon as it connects, then to green when successful.
  12. If ECU is connected, start the bike, DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE
  13. If the bike will run, hit the "Reset Adaption" whilst the bike is running. (if the bike won't run, do this procedure anyway when the bike is not running, this is supposed to remove any previous adaptions which might be the problem) Doing this whilst the bike is running is supposed to set the adaption to a fast 5 sec process, but you probably should do the 12 minute one anyway.
  14. With the bike running, wait till the bike is at 103C (the fan will start, this whole procedure is best done on a warm motor to save time), open a beer (only one and make it a lite, you will be going on a test ride soon) and wait 12 minutes. DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE. The bike might go through some changes in idle as it adapts.
  15. Turn the bike off after 12 minutes. Wait a few minutes. Restart, go for a ride, preferably on a freeway or highway where you can apply different throttle positions and loads, the bike will start to adapt off the "idle zone".
This is just a basic process that doesn't change any maps or do anything radical but might solve the issue before spending money on TPS, ISC motor etc. Also, under the motor toward the rear you will see a sensor. It has been noted that cleaning this sensor may also help with idle issues, it can;t hurt to do this (apparently metal filings from the starter can get on the sensor tip and create bad voltages)

NOTE: I am not an expert but this is what I have learned along the way. Before you do this, read the TuneECU manual. It is a bit of a read but be patient and read it over until you are comfortable with it.

If I have missed anything here I welcome any further input/correction form the wiser minds of the forum.. :notworthy:

Last edited:
I'm having a low idle issue. 2007 Classic with 23K miles. Only engine mod is under tank K&N air filter and breather filter. Bike runs fine except from start up on bike idles at 600 ish RPM and is a little lumpy. Apply just a hint of throttle enough to bring it up to 900 RPM or so and runs fine. I've run a couple of tanks of gas through it thinking maybe bad gas. No change. Suggestions?
Also, even though no mods to engine or exhaust, I think it's time to go TuneEC route. Can someone post link to proper cable and possible tune suggestion please?
There was a tune recall in 07 for bikes around that era it addressed idle problems. I am not sure if yours has been updated or not with tune ecu you will be able to tell and see what the idle is set at in the map. That being said and checked I would next look at a ISCV reset this will get the stepper motor, TPS and map in sync. Your right about getting a cable as this could be somthing simple.

Yep, mine always did that before I threw one of HansO's tunes in. Never heard about that recall (nor any other from triumph!) but not really surprised!

Back