love my 2015 r3r. couple of questions...

topofthirdgear

.020 Over
Ride
2015 R3 Roadster
I have about 5500 miles on my r3r, love the hell out of it. The thing is made to play around town mostly 2n d, and 3rd gear. fantastic to hit the top of an on ramp, and nail it 30 mph in 2nd, and rap it up to 5500 in 3rd gear.... the look on people's faces when you do it is priceless. Super quick.... my concern is that there seems to be quite a bit of slop in 2nd gear, when you shift into it, it like revs a little until it catches up and when you throttle up or down, there s slop there. They said it was within specs, but, I don't know. Am I going to have a problem? If I set myself self up easy, and get it 'pulling', then, if I nail it, she goes great, get a little hop out of the rear tire, goes like a raped ape. Only in 2nd gear...... also, I'd like to put a rear seat backrest with the rack on her, but they're god awful pricey. same for a Windshield, are there any good after market screens out there? or backrest setups?

First of all, g'day and welcome. Whereabouts in this great country do you hail from?

You may want to check your clutch adjustment. It is VERY critical and needs to be correct or you will either have trouble getting into gear or you will cause premature wear and slippage when you get on the throttle - especially when the engine is cold. If that is set correctly, then you may be spinning the rear tyre. The OEM tyre is not that impressive.

You can find the correct clutch settings in the manual - which is in my signature. It is the manual for the older models, but the clutch setting is the same.

First of all, g'day and welcome. Whereabouts in this great country do you hail from?

You may want to check your clutch adjustment. It is VERY critical and needs to be correct or you will either have trouble getting into gear or you will cause premature wear and slippage when you get on the throttle - especially when the engine is cold. If that is set correctly, then you may be spinning the rear tyre. The OEM tyre is not that impressive.

You can find the correct clutch settings in the manual - which is in my signature. It is the manual for the older models, but the clutch setting is the same.

I'm in Minneapolis area. a better description.... if, for instance, I put it into 2nd gear and then shut the motor off, I can roll it from front to back, quite a ways.... that's the slop I'm talking about. When I shift into 2nd, if I roll throttle on, it takes it a second before it 'hits' and starts pulling, or if I roll off throttle from there, it takes it a second until it hits, and slows down. In the other gears, this is way less noticeable. I just don't want it to blow on me..... Its not slipping. I have about an 8th inch of play in the clutch lever before it starts to release the clutch, about 3/4 inch on the release before it starts to engage, I think my clutch adjustment is ok, but, I'll check your link later, thanks

Hello @topofthirdgear and welcome from Virginia. I have not noticed the shut off 2nd gear matter you just mentioned. However, At times when I nail it in any gear, I feel I hesitation in the power hit. almost like the clutch is slipping some. Probably not your situation though.

Hello @topofthirdgear and welcome from Virginia. I have not noticed the shut off 2nd gear matter you just mentioned. However, At times when I nail it in any gear, I feel I hesitation in the power hit. almost like the clutch is slipping some. Probably not your situation though.
Its probably nothing, I just take it up as smooth as I can until its pulling, then hit it. I don't want to slam it, its making me be a better smoother shifter, actually. I think it might be that I'm used to the Valkyrie, which shifted super smooth.

They changed the second gear engagement dogs from four to two which was part of the solution to the early gearbox problems. This did result in a bit more slop which I find annoying when you are trying to be smooth and fast.
I agree I'm going to try my old truck driving trick of easing off throttle and slipping it out of first without the clutch and letting the r's drop until ,with a slight upward pressure on my foot it slips right into Second and see if that works it'll be slow at first but I think with practice it might become the best route

I agree I'm going to try my old truck driving trick of easing off throttle and slipping it out of first without the clutch and letting the r's drop until ,with a slight upward pressure on my foot it slips right into Second and see if that works it'll be slow at first but I think with practice it might become the best route
After trying it, it's possible to do it smooth as silk, though not easy. It's also only possible to do this from 1st to 2nd. It's a two step process. Wind up first gear, with your toe putting slight lift on the shifter. Roll off the throttle the slightest bit, and it will slip into neutral. Then roll off a bit more, and it will slip right in. Barely a click. The worst I did was no worse than a rough shift with the clutch. With practice, this could be done sneaky fast, while maintaining solid grip on the bars, which I've found to be helpful with my r3r

Back