Loud "smack" and it doesn't start

TriumphR3Newb

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
Hey everyone , finally got a chance to putter around with my bike during all the craziness that is this pandemic. Last year I installed a keyless system (thank you DEcosse) and it worked great even though I find out I hooked up the wrong wire. This year I install a new battery it starts up fine even with the weird, improperly installed keyless system just like it did last year. I get some info on my mistake and rectify the problem (you know where this is going ...right?). So, bike is great, does what it is suppose to do. I walk up, signal lights blink, I flip the kill switch, pull in the clutch and the lights turn on and the dash does its thing. However, it now won't start but I am not sure if it is an ignition thing or not. There is a "smack" sound when I hit the started button, the lights blink then the system goes through its start up again. the sound comes from towards the back of the bike. I figured it might be a dead battery but I just put in a new one. It is almost like the starter is stuck or something like that (I don't even know where the starter is located :whitstling:) . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and stay safe out there.

Starter operation is not related to the key-less, only the ignition function is
In your PM I wasn't sure if you were now connected properly to the clutch signal but appears you now are and the keyless is all working properly

The problem you describe is unrelated to the keyless:
Try putting the bike in gear and rocking it slightly - then try starter again (remember to put back in Neutral or keep the clutch pulled!)
If that doesn't make a difference it may be the starter solenoid contacts

The starter is under the swing arm right behind the engine. A heavy smack sound (how you describe it) on start up along with a re-sweep of the gauges indicates a loose connection (arcing). This could be at the battery connections, ground to frame or at the starter solenoid. It could be inside the solenoid also as DEcosse stated. Sometimes the starter is activated and as the starter drive tries to engage the flywheel it doesn't mesh properly.... that's why rocking the bike in gear might help correct this.

Don't assume the battery is good because it is new. As a note of caution, I've seen batteries that would fail internally and make a loud arcing sound when a heavy draw was placed on them. Most of the time this led to the battery exploding so take care and note where the noise originates.

Also check all battery connections and battery voltage when you are trying to start the bike. Your voltage could be dropping below the. Operating voltage of the ECU. I had the exact same issue with a Lithium battery - I’ll bet it starts straight away when hooked up to a jump battery

Just had the same issue on my Rocket. Was sure it was a starter/solenoid issue because Gel battery was only 2 years old and has always showed 13.1 at rest and 14.3 when engine running. Well, wrong. Voltmeter showed battery dropping to 6.5 + or - when trying to start. New Yuasa battery does the trick, 13.1 volts at rest on tender, 14.3 volts when engine running, 12.3 volts when starting. Instant start, better than ever. BikeMaster Gel battery was fine for two years then pooped on me. :(

PS Also have Ken's keyless system, was worried I'd have to reprogram with battery change but keyless system retained it's memory and fired right up. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hey everybody, time for an update. Yep, it was the battery. Just shows how important these types of forums are, especially to newb/rookies like me. Thanks for all the suggestions and the good news the bike is running great and ready for lots of riding after my oil change. The keyless ignition has never worked better :thumbsup:

Back