Lost Clutch..suddenly

dbutton12

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
See if this sounds like anything you gurus have encountered. Had the 08 Touring out for nice cruise yesterday,,, headed north into the adirondacks, trying to avoid all the mess cruising into the Americade in Lake George. Approached an intersection near Northville and as I pulled clutch in....nobody home, kicked it in neutral and pulled over to see what happened...hoping for something simple like a cable..nope not it. Clutch shaft turned smoothly, but with no effort at all. Sent the rest of the crew on north and headed home with no clutch and wife on back,,,NOT fun. We made it with only two actual stops and several slow-motion "stops" at intersections. The Rocket does NOT like to be started in gear, but I had no other choice at times,,,,at least she didn't leave me stranded or have to be towed. Got back to the shop and let it cool for a few hours while I quaffed a few beers to calm my nerves.

Now the rest of the story: I couldn't stand the suspence...not knowing what was wrong. Pulled the radiator and clutch cover and found the button on the top of the clutch pull rod was missing (later found it with a magnet in the sump). Worse, the lifter arm (which I would call the clutch shaft) is fractured right at the machined cavity for the pull rod. The clutch itself is in excellent condition and no problems found there. What I can't figure out is whether the clutch shaft breaking was the root cause or if the button broke off the pull rod. Also puzzling is that the manual shows a torrington style needle bearing under the thrust washer,,,,mine has no bearing, just the thrust washer and a wave washer....anyone got any ideas??? If you look closely at the pics, you can see the crack in the clutch shaft.

Attachments

• 100_0559.jpg
    100_0559.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_0563.jpg
    100_0563.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 100_0557.jpg
    100_0557.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 194
This is not uncommon. often caused by not enough free play at the lever. There are updated parts available for this but I would see what Warp 9.9 says on the subject as he has been into the clutch many times and knows the parts well.

This is not uncommon. often caused by not enough free play at the lever. There are updated parts available for this but I would see what Warp 9.9 says on the subject as he has been into the clutch many times and knows the parts well.

Thanks,,,sent e-mail to Warp. I think the "missing" torrinton bearing wasn't there at all by 2008, so at least that issue is solved. Anyone got the site for Rocket parts?? I lost it.

Yes the book has not been updated picture wise. I can see the wear on the lifter shaft. most likely the initial free plar was wrong stating the wear on the shaft. as it wear and you adjust the fre play it rotates the shaft more to get the lift/pull on the lifter piece. until such a point that it over rotates and snaps either the head off the lifter piece or the lifter shaft. in you case they both were failing but the lifter piece went first. If it had not you shaft would have as it is already fractured.
first lets talk about the changes in the lifter piece. There has been many in which you have the new style pressure plate. So to make thing easier I will copy one of my post which might take a couple post to get it done we shall see.

I did this when Sal was having a problem
so here is a good link that might help. I am limiterd to the amount of characters I can post and probably have some of the same on this site but this link will be quicker for you.
When you order the lifter piece order this one

Here is the link to some helpfull information. like I said I probably have most on this site to if you search/ It would be good to put it in the tech site area if one of the moderators could find it and move it.

this is on the .com site

Oh and here is one I found on this site

I hope it helps you. Triumph has also done some other changes but since they do not update manuals its hard to say what they have now. I know one of the changes was to add a wassher(they call shim between the wavey washer to take slop out. I have since came up with a better idea as the washer/shim takes 1/2 the allowable wear out of the fibers soyou will be replacing them faster IMO.

Like I said if you search on this site you will probably find the same information put out by myself and others. The thread above I did this year for Sal when he was converting his over to the newer style pressure plate and roller bearing which you have in yours.

Thanks Warp....your the best!!!! Gonna get parts ordered tomorrow AM. Gotta giter back on the road before the Horley crew realize its on the operating table:D

I would order from Andy NCY in California you will get the best prices there and they are open seven days a week Andy is off on Sunday and Monday.

Exact same thing just happened to me. Clutch was correctly adjusted at the time, however about a year ago it was not. Warp corrected me on the correct adjustment. Perhaps riding a while incorrectly adjusted weakened the lifter piece. I don't know. Anyhow, I now have it back together with the updated lifter piece and lifter shaft.

Bad part is it happened 321 miles from home. I made a trip to California for a ride up Highway 1. I am glad it didn't give out 1500 miles from home.

As I was pulling into a station to get fuel, I pulled the clutch in to come to a full stop at the pump and it felt like the clutch cable snapped. It was actually the lifter piece that broke and the lifter shaft was cracked.

Mother F*&*^^^&*! Grrrr!!!!!!!!! I knew it was probably coming but I just snapped my clutch lifter shaft and/or lifter piece.. 8 weeks before RAA Texas! I haven't checked yet, but I hope to be able to get the parts in and get the bike going before..

I will say this... After 80K+ miles, I do believe I will be selling my Rocket after this round.. Getting parts for it just takes forever. I will check tomorrow on ordering and call several dealers.

If you want it as is.. I will sell it as is.. It runs GREAT.. but I won't start it right now until the broke bits are removed and the oil is changed..

North county Yamaha will be quick about the parts. Andy I think is who you need to ask for. he works tuesday thru saturday. easy 3 to4 hour job 3 if you have doen it before 4 if you haven't to check and verify take the crank arm off remove the cable and put it back on then pull the shaft outward if it is broken it will come right out if it comes out whole it is the lifter piece.

Thanks... I will do some checking on that tomorrow. I've been in there once before so, it's no big deal and it's time for an oil change anyways. I'll also be reading through your suggested settings and mods as well. And thanks so much for all of the posts you write up. They are almost essential for many Rocket owners without a dealer or at least a competent service department close by

My bike was down almost a year the year before last waiting on a primary TPS, then spark plug wires, then the rubbers that hold the throttle bodies to the heads. Each took 8-10 weeks.. Simple things that took no time at all to replace.. but forever to get in.

Back