Lost back brakes

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
Hey guys, I'm on the road at Daytona bike week and lost the back brakes yesterday. I figured I just needed to replace the pads so I did today. After the fourth pump, I can feel some braking action but not full power and I cannot get the ABS to kick in at all. What next?

I’d bleed them if you have the ability to get somewhere to pick up some fluid.. probably the easiest way to start

Everytime I take the bike out after it sits for a while I have zero rear brakes. So I pump the heck out of them before I pull out of the garage. I have replaced the pads and bleed the brakes. My 2000 Valkyrie did this once in a while. But no other bike I have ever owned has done this.

Hey boog, good to see your still around!!
With that said I have a theory about the rear brakes. The close proximity of the master cylinder, and the brake line to the exhaust causes the brake fluid to boil(especially on a long trip) and then its crap. Also if the pads(or pistons) hang up a bit that will cause more heat!
The brake dust builds up on the guides for the pads the pins and around the pistons. It’s a good practice when changing the pads to remove the caliper and clean every thing and use a little high temp brake grease on those pins.
Good luck brother, hope you get er sorted!!

Everytime I take the bike out after it sits for a while I have zero rear brakes. So I pump the heck out of them before I pull out of the garage. I have replaced the pads and bleed the brakes. My 2000 Valkyrie did this once in a while. But no other bike I have ever owned has done this.

Wow I have never had zero brakes even when my bikes have been laid up for the winter.... I suggest you strip and rebuild them if that's the case as something must be wrong....

I had issues with the back brake for awhile. Fade out overtime. Then we would bleed the brake and a lot of air bubbles. Checked entire system no leaks. Everything was clean and function properly. Out of total frustration and lack of trouble shooting the problem went ahead and replaced the bleeder. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O No sign of leakage but glad i did. Problem solved.

My 2013 has a low rear brake pedal. I've bled it, adjusted the linkage, but still low. Almost have to stand up on it, to get the anti-lock to engage. My 2 05's have no problem, but they ain't anti-lock either ????

Back