Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
I'm down a full quart since the last (first) oil change. I changed the oil at 600 miles and checked it every so often at first. Seemed OK, then this morning, 3,000 miles later it's down a quart. WTF?

There's another post here where someone had an oil issue. They said... "Yesterday the dealer calls me and advises me yup, the oil pump was missing a oil seal from factory, he said it's not the first time on these models." Brand new Rocket 3 burning oil issue

The OP never gave us an update, and I'm not sure that's the issue I'm having, so starting another post here.

....and, found this post here...

....and, here....

....and, here....

I'm up for any ideas you folks may have. I'm not seeing any smoke or noticeable change in performance. No leaks. I did put in more oil at the change than was called for, just to get it up to the midway mark, but didn't think much of it at the time. Maybe an extra half quart. Not sure if the oil pump seal is the issue or something else. I'm wondering when I do my next oil change how many quarts will drain out.

Also wondering how I should present this to Triumph. Kinda doubting they'll just take my word that it's using more oil than it should and tear into it. I bought the bike used, so I don't have a specific dealer to report this to, but I believe the warranty transfers. This bike has less than 4,000 miles.

I did some moderately hard riding today for about six hours. No dramatic shift, about the same level, but these bikes never gave consistent readings.

Last edited:
My bike also burns a significant amount of oil. Between 10,000 mile oil changes I loose between 1-2 quarts. I also get periodic oil droplets on the trip of the lower exhaust pipe (presumably from the top pipe). There are no leaks, never any drops in the garage or at parking spots. I just check it every couple of months and top it off. Bike runs great, doesn't smoke and I haven't been too concerned about it. I think I read somewhere that there is an "acceptable" amount of oil loss over time (according to Triumph anyway). I don't remember the actual value, but it was surprisingly high. When I'm in for my 20,000 mile service, I might take a stab at having the dealer inspect that oil pump seal though. Until then, I'll just keep riding and keep grinning.

OK, just did another oil change at 4,000 miles. Was kind of expecting an extra quart or so coming out (missing oil pump seal, or mysterious "leaking into "void" syndrome), but measured about 4.5 quarts drained.

So, looks like she burning oil. I put in 4.3 liters, as recommended, ran it for 90 seconds and waited 3 minutes. It came up to the halfway mark. Okee, then.

I've seen a few members with similar problems kinda shrugging this off, but a new bike should not be using oil like this. For all the good it will do, I'll put in a complaint to Triumph.

Otherwise, "Roxy" seems to run great and no problems, as of yet, with rear brakes or FOB.

Last edited:
So, before heading out on a three day ride to VA/WV I topped it to just past the half-way mark. Back home after 600 miles, lots of twisties, no interstate, and it was down about 1/3 quart (showing 1/4 on stick). This is based on the assumption that it's a quart between the low and full line. At this rate I guess that I can expect to add at least a quart every 2,000 miles. I plan to contact Triumph Monday or early next week. I'm still puzzled that I've never seen smoke on startup or when going hard on the throttle. No leaks and the ends of the exhaust are just dry soot, not oily. I'm at just under 5,000 miles on the bike. Open to suggestions, theories, or ideas...

First service done by my dealer at 597 miles: 430 miles later I'm below the Minimum limit on the dipstick. I added about 0.4l to reach the midpoint on the dipstick. Hard to say if the dealer properly filled to the correct oil level during the service, or if the bike is burning oil. I'll be keeping a close eye on the oil level each week over the next few months.

Back