rash_powder

Supercharged
Ride
2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring
So now that I have my bike back on the road and riding it I am finding another maintenance issue.

My right hand side mirror is pretty much useless at any speed above about 10mph, and the right is starting to get loose as well - it just takes about 30 minutes at 75mph to move out of acceptable placement.

What are the best replacement mirrors or stubs for the mounts? I really do not like these Triumph friction bearing mounts. They just don't seem as secure as an old Honda or Yamaha.

An expanding collet type would be nice, or possible tapping the hole and using a jam nut.

Just need a real good solution so I don't have to replace those bearings every 5 years.

Mickey Mouse style? Do you mean the split ring lock washer or the ones with all the little teeth?

The PO of my Rocket had these stupid, useless, drop down, bar-end mirrors installed. I put the Mickey Mouse ones back on and had the same problem you did. I also used a lock washer like warp9.9 and they're rock solid now.

Make sure they fit around the stem not the 6mm bolt shank.

20180802_174610.jpg

So I used two 3/8”x1” stainless flat washers under each mirror and tightened them as much as I could. They no longer move. Not even at 105mph! Apparently I tried the shim trick before as I did find a washer under the loose set one, but I used the correct size washer for the bolt, not the stem.

Back