Looking to buy an '07 Classic Tourer-any advice?

CWCobra

.060 Over
I'm meeting a guy this week end to check out his 2007 Classic Tourer for sale. If all's well, I just might bring it home. The pics I've seen look good. It has low miles, and Beetle Bags instead of the soft ones. Engine is silver instead of black - does that mean anything? Most all the ones I have looked at have black engine blocks.

Anyhow, do y'all more-experiences R3 owners have any advice for this prospective new R3 owner? Any issues I should look for or ask about?

Thanks in advance,
CW

Welcome Cobra, Knowing what I know today after buying my 06 used just to have Triumph do what is called a up grade kit to mine just as soon as I purchased it. The first thing I would do is get the serial number and contact a Triumph dealer and find out what has been done to the bike from the factory. If the bike has already had the Upgrade kit installed, I would not be worried one bit about the bike. If it has not had any major factory recall work done on it, then I would load the bike and take it to a GOOD Triumph dealer and asked them to test drive the bike and go over it to verify that it is not in need of any of the above mentioned work that a small percent of these bikes have been know to need. Fortunatly the numbers were pretty small of the bikes that needed any of the major work like mine did. If the dealer service dept can give the bike a clean bill of health than I wouldn't be afraid of the bike at all. There is the chance that there will always be the chance for small stuff that may need attention on a 4 or 5 yr old USED bike but it should be minor. One other thing is to verify that if the first 10k mile service check has been done, mainly if the valves have been ran at the 10k interval. If this hasn't been done can cost you upwards of 600 to 800 dollars. I would hate to purchase a bike and have to take it in and spend 1000 or more on it first thing.
But once you do your home work and if the bike checks out for you, You won't be sorry for going with a Rocket. Just do your home work and have it checked out before you write that check. And if there is some items like the 10k service that needs to be done, as long as the seller is willing to help with these cost, don't be afraid of it, just go for it.
The other thing I would do is spend some time going thru the web sites and find out questions about the bike that others may have had issues with and become as familier with the bike before jumping in.
No the above mentioned way would be the smart way to purchase a used bike or say the hell with it like I did and found one that somebody had already spent a ton of money on and I bought it for about half price and spent the better part of the first yr finding out the hard way about the ins and outs. What ever your style may be, welcome to the madness and good luck with your search for a Rocket.

Big T

Im a big fan of the silver engines. It sets them apart, abit. The '05s had silver engines. The 07 Tourer only, had a silver engine. You might come to the same conclusion: These 07 Tourer (only configured in the USA) engines were surpluss 05s.
Ive not had any engine issues after 30k + miles. There are possibilities such as ignition switch failure, as Ive had replaced and possibly a lingering associated issue: No speedo at this time.
The Tourer was equipped, at the then MSRP value, with add-ons valued at ~ $1900 for a increased sale price of $500. Not a terrible deal at the time. Everyone of the add-ons Id have wanted anyway. Corbin Beetle bags is a plus. Where are the original leathers paniers (saddle bags) and embellishers? A cat box replacer would be a plus. Where is the original cat box? The phones (exhaust) had bologna ends.
I mention original articles so you might consider having them for restoration, if ever.
The one issue, other than no speedo, intermittently, at present is frozen up rear bearings on my 07. The inner left and right side bearings have seazed up and without the appropriate tool from Triumph they must be replaced by a Triumph dealer, assuming they have the appropriate tool. None the less this circumstane has me wondering.
The color schemes on the 07 Tourer were unique as well. Pacific Plue and New England White, Such and Such, and Cardinal Red and Phantom Black. I have the latter.

HeR3tic,
that begs the question then,
is you VIN an '05 #, or an '07 #...
easier still where are your drain plugs located,
early or late style.
i know for a fact LeAnns are different on her '05
than mine on my '07..

The color schemes on the 07 Tourer were unique as well. Pacific Plue and New England White, Such and Such, and Cardinal Red and Phantom Black. I have the latter.

The one I am looking at is neither of these color combos; it is black/white. Is something amiss?

BTW, it only has 3,800 miles.

CW
:confused:

I got my 05 standard a year ago with only 3000 on the clock. If you test ride and all seems good, probably nothing at all to worry about. Should sound like a sewing machine on steroids. Some small percentage of early bikes have experienced tranny problems and Triumph redesigned a bunch of parts; inside clutch lever, timing chain arrangement, some tranny parts too. Timing chain caused a "paint can rattle" and is pretty well known, but the bike is one solid machine. Welcome aboard, and good luck.

Well, crap!
I had just returned from my bank, after withdrawing funds for bike purchase, when seller called to tell me he had backed out. Changed his mind about selling.

Oh, well, went back to bank, put the money back in.

CW
:(

I just spotted another 2007, and also a 2009 Touring. What to do , what to do? (see separate thread)

So many bikes; so little time.

CW

Back