Looking for a good place to Mod tranny

JKrull66

.020 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III
I have a 2006 standard black engine turbo bike and have found second to be a weak spot for me. I grenaded one tranny including oil pumps. I had it fixed at a dealer in PA. When I was working out there. They had it forever and it never has stayed in second even w moderate power since I got it back. They had me so mad when I said it wasn't fixed, they said my problem because of Turbo. I was done working in that area also, so didn't fight it as I should have. I'm thinking could be issues w assembly also because of the gear sensor pin being stuck or peened into the back of the shaft when I got it back, causing neutral light to not work. I had to carefully go around the pin and remove material to free it up.
It has popped out (second only) a few times but mostly I skip or baby second. I don't think I have hurt the new gears, but would need to inspect that for sure. They supposedly put in all updates and I have a box of old gears shims pumps.
I have heard of cryo treating and back cutting gears and have even talked to a couple folks on another forum a couple yrs back. Just wondering if someone offers a standard service for this and if any of those folks would be in the Texas or Iowa Area.
I don't want to do teardown again with out fixing the issue. I have drove around it for long enough. I want second gear back.
Thanks, John

Last edited:
These guys did mine, Robinson Industries Motorcycle Transmissions. I would have them widen the shaft grooves and install their heavy duty circlips as well. Do you know if yours ever had the update kit installed ?
These guys did mine, Robinson Industries Motorcycle Transmissions. I would have them widen the shaft grooves and install their heavy duty circlips as well. Do you know if yours ever had the update kit installed ?
Yes it does at least its spost to

Did you take them the cases w gears installed? or just the parts?
you send them the complete shafts (basically assembled shafts) they do their wonders and ship it back. They make a new stronger billet fourth gear which so far as I can tell is the weak link or the most broken of the 5. Sounds like your dogs are rounded. Off in second. Can you post some pictures of the parts you got back ? Especially the secong gear dog rin and the second gear output shaft side with the shims. Now if you do not have them I would question as to whether a full update has been done. On the bill did they supply you with the part number to the update kit? That they ordered or a couple pages worth of part numbers? Not trying to knock them as there is a chance they did. Onother good sign that a 06 has been fully updated without looking inside the motor is to lift the tank and check the ignition plug where it joins the harness. It should have been cut of both switch side and harness side the tach signal wire seperated onto its own seperate connector and a complete new male and female spliced in for the ignition.

You should so find the old detent whe arm and detent spring in you box of parts.

you send them the complete shafts (basically assembled shafts) they do their wonders and ship it back. They make a new stronger billet fourth gear which so far as I can tell is the weak link or the most broken of the 5. Sounds like your dogs are rounded. Off in second. Can you post some pictures of the parts you got back ? Especially the secong gear dog rin and the second gear output shaft side with the shims. Now if you do not have them I would question as to whether a full update has been done. On the bill did they supply you with the part number to the update kit? That they ordered or a couple pages worth of part numbers? Not trying to knock them as there is a chance they did. Onother good sign that a 06 has been fully updated without looking inside the motor is to lift the tank and check the ignition plug where it joins the harness. It should have been cut of both switch side and harness side the tach signal wire seperated onto its own seperate connector and a complete new male and female spliced in for the ignition.

You should so find the old detent whe arm and detent spring in you box of parts.

Will have to look and see. I know there are gears shifting fork and other parts I had them replace every thing to do with those two gears, when it popped out it slammed against another gear and broke it or went in two gears not sure. After the repairs it never would stay in second at 1/4 power. I will have to dig out box and try to get some pics for you. I do have a couple of the tranny during disassembly.
100_1332.jpg
100_1333.jpg
100_1334.jpg
100_1335.jpg

Went out and found what I could (2011) cant seem to locate paperwork found all sorts of it for other stuff.
IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0758.jpg

If I remember right I paid a reduced rate of around 300.00 for the upgrade. and then bought another 800.00 worth of stuff but could be getting mixed up. Oldtimers setting in!

Back