longer ride soreness

Robm422

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket iii roadster
So, when I go for 4-8 hour rides on the rocket, I usually come home really stiff and sore, especially around the back, shoulders and neck. I just figured this would happen on any motorcycle.
Well, I rented a bmw r1200 gs adventure, while on vacation in colorado last week, and rode for about 8 hours on and off road. When I got home, my wife commented that I wasn't stiff and sore like I usually am after a ride. I didn't even realize it, until she said something!
Anyways, does anyone have any idea how to Take the sting out of the rocket?
Considering new rear shocks, and/or seat...

My neck and back used to kill me after even a 2 hour ride. That was fixed with the following:
- Got a backrest (corbin single tour ovalback backrest) and moved it forwardish
- Installed rivco risers (if you have ABS then it will require relocating the brake line but otherwise it's an easy install)

And voila .... no more neck and shoulder pain.
I often would like to get some other feet positions but it is less important as I can ride the full 300 km tank without needing to stop as it is now.

Others have done more in the comfort department but I find this setup is pretty good.

I do an occasional 10-12 rides without the predicted body aches. I installed highway pegs on my Touring engine bars; lets me stretch out if desired. The floorboards all by themselves help with moving my feet position back and forth. And, I lower the passenger floor boards to rest my feet there for a spell. Using the full bike to spread around helps me a lot even sitting on the pillion for a change in position. The BeadRider keeps me bum dry and allows for a slight blood flow massage as I move around on it.
I try to stay below 85mph to cut down on the wind fatigue from the helmet pushing my neck around.
Stopping only for gas, I usually drink a full bottle of water, eat some jerky and or fruit and off I go again. Staying hydrated whether it be hot or cold out is vital to my personal well being on long saddle days.

Hydration yes....you would be surprised how quickly you DE hydrate on a bike...faster than normal. And when you are dehydrated, everything works wrong.

Hydration yes....you would be surprised how quickly you DE hydrate on a bike...faster than normal. And when you are dehydrated, everything works wrong.

Exactly...the few long rides I have been on I have used a Camelback type hydration bladder with the line routed inside my helmet so I can continually sip while riding.

Back