longer forks

millsy58

Standard Bore
hi all i guess i'm gunna get ragged for this but in all the pics on here i haven't seen any bikes with extended forks . i know what ya gunna say.... why ruin a fine handling bike by doing that . well i have ridden a least 4 bikes over the years with longer forks and they are not that bad to ride after you get used to them and one benefit is higer clearance which i do like . ok the question is ....has anyone extended the kyb 43mm forks either by getting longer tubes or top fork extenders ?

p.s don't yell at me too much .:)

As long as the longer forks didn't create too much stress on the head stock and you're over 7 foot tall, I don't see a problem with it. :cool:

Personally I have never had any issues with ground clearance with the R3. Probably because I don't go off roading very often.:)

If your prefer the Harley biker look you could always install some ape hangars.

BTW I'M NOT YELLING !!!!!

lol. ;)

18" ape hanger seem appropriate because ground clearance is very generous on the r3. I think your best defense for doing it would have to be "because i can" as it seems the other two are moot.:eek::eek::eek:

Eagle ,one of the members of Vietnam Vets MC has extended his front forks by 60 or 70 mm. Looks ok and he rides like an absolute f#ckin madman so he did do it for ground clearance. Got a photo of his bike if you want i can post it.

Eagles Rocket.

Attachments

• EAGLES BIKE..jpg
    EAGLES BIKE..jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 203
thanks tomcat...yep would like a pic to see how he did it . ape hangars look just so silly in my view and even worse on a rocket. i live on tamborine mtn and i guess i know the road very well...to say the ground clearance is fine is like riding only on highways .

no i don't ride offroad ..

regards millsy

I like the idea, Tom post that pic please, any idea how he done it?
Slugs he had turned up , they just screw into the top of forks. Eagles a good bloke and loves his Rocket. I got his phone number and im pretty sure he'd be happy to give you the lowdown on what he did if your interested mate.

thanks tomcat...yep would like a pic to see how he did it . ape hangars look just so silly in my view and even worse on a rocket. i live on tamborine mtn and i guess i know the road very well...to say the ground clearance is fine is like riding only on highways .

no i don't ride offroad ..

regards millsy
Eagles out Brisbane Valley way , like i told Gothlander sure he'd be happy to fill you in on how he went about the task. I rang him and made sure he was cool about me posting photo of his bike , he's a good bloke.

So he had aluminum turned to duplicate the insides of the fork caps but just thicker (taller)?

That's a hell of an idea, not a simple task, but a hell of an idea.

Just have to duplicate the outside threads for the tube and the center threads for the shock rod while keeping the total outside diameter the same as the struts.

If he or whoever made them could cut more consistently that would be another great R3 specialty item they could sell. Ought to be able to get at least a couple hundred for the set.

Maybe Flip would be interested in expanding his accessory inventory with that idea. :gp:

Back