Long oval head open face helmet.

Filthy Phil

.040 Over
Ride
Rocket X
I know I need to go into a shop & try on a helmet before I buy it and I know some of you are going to say not to wear an open face helmet but I've been riding for 40 years & know all that & it's my choice.

I've got a very comfortable HJC RPHA Max for going away on trips but I'd like to replace the old open face helmet that I usually wear around town.
I was wondering if any of you have long oval shaped heads & which open face helmets you find comfortable. I've had a bit of a look on the net & found these recommendations but I'm not sure if they are available in Australia. Also in Australia in most states helmets have to have an Australian approved sticker on the back so I won't be able to buy from OS.

Shoei J Cruise
Shuberth M1
LS2 OF583

This LS2 looks cool.

View media item 10662

if Dan Akroyd comes along he can help you with the shape you are after:D does Australia not recognize DOT---SNELL or ECE helmets?

Different laws for different states.
Where I am they have to have an Australian standards sticker on them or if your head is larger than 62cm you can use a DOT or ECE but need to carry a medical certificate stating that you have a fat head.
Ridiculous isn't it.

This off the NSW Road Safety website, Helmets - Motorcyclists - Staying safe - NSW Centre for Road Safety. Seems you can buy from overseas now as long as it complies with the European standard.

Helmet standard

An approved motorcycle helmet is a protective helmet for motorcycle riders of a type that complies with:

• Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698:2006 Protective Helmets For Vehicle Users, as amended by Amendment No. 1 of 28 September 2007 and Amendment No. 2 of 27 May 2009; or
  • An earlier version of Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698 or Australian Standard 1698-1988 that was in force at the time of manufacture or importation; or
  • United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No 22 (UNECE22.05) as amended;
  • And has a mark certifying compliance with an above standard.

BDK coyote, I was going off what's on the Motorcycle Council of NSW website.

On 5 February 2010, NSW introduced a retrospective definition for “an approved motor bike helmet”. This created market chaos. Riders got fined. Small helmet importers suffered financially. So the then RTA had another go after protests.
Since 5 November 2010, there are only four labels permitted on helmets purchased after 31 March 2010.
Buy one of these stickers with a helmet attached and that’s how to comply with NSW Road Rule 270. These are fine protection.
1410420081_RMSOK.jpg

RMS helmets webpage
EXEMPTION
If your head requires a helmet larger than 62 cm, since 28 September 2012 you can wear a different helmet, BUT there are conditions
  1. you need to carry a formal medical certificate
  2. the helmet must have labels showing it complies with any of
  • European Reg ECE 22-05
  • Japanese JIS T8133
  • USA "DOT" (FMVSS-218)
You're also permitted to wear a helmet marked only by Snell, but we DO NOT recommend this for street use.
European helmets are lighter to reduce neck injury and basilar skull fracture, have excellent impact attenuation, greater test coverage area and a very sound certification process.
Japanese helmets are virtually identical to Australian, but with better impact attenuation (more restricted pulse width) and the most robust certification process of any.
US "DOT" helmets are almost the same as Australian, but with better impact attenuation (more restricted pulse width) and a certification process that places responsibility on the manufacturer (or importer) for compliance. Their recall system is regularly used, in market surveillance testing by NHTSA, backed by a legal system that punishes manufacturers who transgress.
These have labels like this:-
1410487895_220px-Casque_homologation.jpg
1410487922_DOTs.jpg

European above left, sewn onto chin strap
USA above right, on rear of helmet
Japanese below, on outer shell
1410767429_Japanese2.jpg

The Japanese compliance system is very strong and the sticker is evidence that the insurance premium for a head injury has been paid for the wearer of that helmet (insured only if in Japan)
Novelty Helmets
Definitely NOT recommended. While an ice-cream bucket with elastic under the chin might be handy for some things, for helmets to be truly useful, they need impact attenuation.
Just 'cos it's cool in the USA doesn't mean it's safe. The US NHTSA reckons they're Unsafe Motorcycle Helmets and the Michigan State Police can show you how to identify a novelty helmet.

Last edited:
I've got that LS2. It is cool! I really like their helmets, especially the Nolan knock-off quick release. I've found they run large though - most helmets I take a large, the LS2 I wear a small!

Back