Locking the radiator cap down? What?

Dalan

Supercharged
Ride
2015 R3R
Riding into town. Temp light comes on. Serving food at church, ride three more minutes. Hoping bike could make it ok.

Two and a half hours later, done serving, bike cooled. Can't budge cap. Never checked since new, about 7K miles on her.

Can't believe how weak I am. Have to call Wrecka to make a 17 hour flight to rescue me.

Then, I notice the screw. A sheet metal screw through the rim of the cap, into the neck of the filler! What was Triumph thinking?

No 6 mm socket or wrench. Ride 2 minutes to farm store. $20 for cheapie metric socket set.

Coolant completely full. Second guess, blown radiator fuse. Pull seat, 15 amp fuse burned out. Ride to auto parts for fuse.

It (screw) did not effect seal where it was placed. I guess Triumph just wanted to see if their customers would go in for authorized dealers. For after warranty repairs @ $85 US per hour.

Did your bike have such a screw? Maybe mine was to be shipped down under, Triumph making sure cap stayed in upside down.

Mine had one until I sent the bike into Carpenter Racing then it came back without. Have to get another one for safety !!!!!!!

I suppose it's there so if the cap ain't screwed on right, it won't fly off....but if you don't screw it on right, you probably won't tighten the screw either....so....ditch the screw and put the cap on right and you'll be fine.

It's there so ppl don't remove the cap when hot and under pressure
Gday Mittzy
I wondered what it was there for as well, so Im glad someone has asked the question and it has been clarified. Just letting you know if you hadnt received the reply in PM the seat arrived and it does exactly what I wanted it to cheers thanks for that
Kev

Gday Mittzy
I wondered what it was there for as well, so Im glad someone has asked the question and it has been clarified. Just letting you know if you hadnt received the reply in PM the seat arrived and it does exactly what I wanted it to cheers thanks for that
Kev
Hi Kev yes I got the PM sorry but I thought I had replied - I'm glad you like it

When I purchased my Roadster in 2011 the first problem I had was coolant loss from the overflow when I stopped the motor after a good ride. After the second time is happened I checked the radiator cap, it was tight but not turned on all the way from the factory. Loosened the screw, turned the cap on a all the way, tightended up the screw, no more problems.

Back