Lock and Adjustment nut on steering stem.

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
The locknut and adjustment nut on the steering stem is what size? Please tell me it is a 40MM. Last night we realized real quick that a 32MM was a bit small, so we measured it and ordered 40MM socket and thin wrench. Looked at bike bandits OEM parts and no size given. Did we guess right?

I tapped the lock nut loose with a hammer and flat screw driver , I had the front wheel off the ground and used the screwdriver and hammer to tighten the main nut , I only made 1/8th turns each time and then tested the torque by throwing the bars both left and right until it bounced off the stops and stopped in the centre , than tightened up the locknut..

IF IT IS 40MM THEN U MIGHT USE 1 5/8 might be a little sloppy.if i ever need to do mine i would at least try what wrecka said if it taps lose then u could do it w/o removing much.

Thanks for the input. Was kind of hoping that someone would chime in and let me know the exact size of locknut and adjustment nut. Hopefully I measured right and the 40MM will work. According to the manual they mention nothing about the bottom yoke requiring to be loose during the procedure which strikes me as being a bit strange.

Amazing this same questioned was asked back in 2016. It went unanswered. Considering this is a basic Maintenance operation you would think that it would be answered rather quickly. Definitely makes me raise a eyebrow or to about tribal knowledge of Rockets on this site. um? Well either way the stuff I ordered two days ago will be in tomorrow. I will post if it fits or not. Got a feeling I got it right. Kind of disappointed in the lack of response.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

the reason no one knows is because no one does it:roll::roll::roll:
i was going to do it but when i took a look at it i decided to wear the front tire out and put a new one on. once the avon went on the front my prob was gone.
i would lift the forks off the ground grab hold of the wheel move it back and forth and see what kind of play u have then decide if it is worth doing.:)

Amazing this same questioned was asked back in 2016. It went unanswered. Considering this is a basic Maintenance operation you would think that it would be answered rather quickly. Definitely makes me raise a eyebrow or to about tribal knowledge of Rockets on this site. um? Well either way the stuff I ordered two days ago will be in tomorrow. I will post if it fits or not. Got a feeling I got it right. Kind of disappointed in the lack of response.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Awe, C'mon Sonny - "back in 2016" wasn't that long ago.............. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
you will be the OG poster of this "secret society info"
Let us know bro :cool:

Awe, C'mon Sonny - "back in 2016" wasn't that long ago.............. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
you will be the OG poster of this "secret society info"
Let us know bro :cool:

Yea, last week when I did my Progressive spring swap I figured while I'm at it I would knock out the headstock bearing re-grease called for on the 40,000 mile service as I'm just shy of 39,000
Shat - they were sooooooo smooth & absolutely no slack or tightness - If it ain't broke......................
I turn the bottom bracket bearings that hold the crank arms in my bicycles WAY more than those H/S bearings turn. Pppfffff

I have made it a habit to readjust the tension on fork bearings about every 20,000 miles on most of the bikes I have owned. If it ain't broke ....................... can and has left me out on Hwy 75 at 2:00 am in 20 degree weather. No fun at all when that happens. Wear and tear is kept to a minimum when properly adjusted. Fork Bearings in the Harley at 90,000 miles were still good when I replaced them last week. Preventive maintenance becomes very important with the miles I ride. The Harley has only been towed once since I have owned it (flat tire) that is amazing for a Harley. The ROCKET X is by far the best bike I have owned and yes we may go a little overboard on the maintenance but I plan on having her around a little longer than some of the wife's I have had. Having the proper tools and basic knowledge has saved me a lot of headaches and heartaches when it comes to motorcycles. Any and everything I learn about the Rocket during my journey will be shared in a heartbeat. Pretty much gave up on dealerships so for now and in the future it will be a learning process. ;););););););)

Last edited:
Back