Local qualified Triumph mechanic

Hot3classic

Standard Bore
i am looking for a qualified mechanic in the austin, tx area. The local bmw/triumph dealer is outrageously expensive...if it cost me $200.00 for an oil change, then i certainly don't want to know what it's going to cost on a mechanical issue from this dealer.
i have a 2006 r3 classic that has clutch issues....it has the symptoms a car would have if the clutch were stripped. It barely will hang on to a gear for minimal acceleration before it just revs up with no grab at all.
i made the misstake of buying this bike out of state from what appeared to be a reputable dealer, but once i got the bike shipped to me i found alot of what i was told to be incorrect,
any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....rick

$200 for an oil change?? Can you stand up straight yet, or are you still bent over? I'm surprised, I've had work done at the Austin Triumph/BMW dealer before and found them "reasonable", albeit a bit on the high side. I just had my oil changed at Eurosport in Ft Worth for $110....

Not sure about another Triumph dealer or service dept in Austin, but if you are willing to take a rather short - and very nice - ride to Fredericksburg visit MotoTexas Powersports and they will do you a fine job at a very reasonable price. I was on a trip a couple of years ago from DFW down to the Hill Country and had a problem with my 06 Rocket, and they were able to put it right on the rack and take care of the problem for 1/2 of what it would have cost me at the Fort Worth Triumph dealer.

Fredericksburg is only about an hour from Austin...and again, a beautiful ride.

Have you adjusted the clutch cable??? It may be to tight and not releasing all the way?

Well G killer they added in some adjustment charges which I could have easily done..adjustments on the clutch the mechanic was going to do without charge...but I guess he got overridden on that decision...I didn't argue with the bill because if it was going to be right it was worth it...unfortunately it didn't fix the problem and I didn't think my rear would stand up to any of their charges for mechanical repairs.
KCC11 I did try having the clutch cable adjusted and the results were unfortunately the same.

Most dealers are pretty expensive with their labor charges, but heed this warning: DO NOT bring it over here to Alamo BMW/Triumph in San Antonio. I've given those wack jobs a bunch of money and had to take it to Austin to find their screw-ups. The Austin techs do, at least, know what they are doing and can troubleshoot beyond a code from the ECU.

Hard to tell from here, but here are a couple of things it could be. If someone used car motor oil at one point, it could cause your clutch to slip. (new clutch plates) Car motor oil is not designed for wet clutch use. Or it could be the last person who had your bike rode it with the clutch cable too tight, causing the clutch to barely slip for thousands of miles (new clutch plates). I would think doing burnouts all the time wouldn't necessarily kill the clutch plates quick, but it could.. Again, I'm just guessing since I don't know anything about your bike..

Clutch plate replacement is pretty straight forward, the same as on most bikes, so most any competent motorcycle mech should be able to do it. The radiator has to be pulled and the front engine cover (not just the round chrome piece) has to come off to access the clutch basket.

My bike has 65K+ miles on it and looking at my adjustments, I might be looking at replacing clutch plates this Winter or maybe next, but I have had no problems.

Andrews Cycle Works in Waco | Andrews Cycle Works (254) 757-2453 & 1701 La Salle Ave, Waco, TX 76706 | <Automotive/Motorcycles/Dealers> - Yahoo! US Local
I know Waco would be a drive for you but this guy is first rate. Bought my 06 Rocket from him and had him service it ( no major problems) and the other two Triumphs I've owned. He was until recently a Triumph dealer but I don't think he sells new Triumphs any more. He works on all things "European" and is heavy in to racing. I've sent a bud of mine who had been to a couple of other Ft. Worth/ Dallas dealers who were happy to charge for a repair that wasn't and then just shrugged their shoulders, Mark Andrews took care of him the First time....

Back