Little help please

cj jeeper

.020 Over
Had a battery replaced at the dealer and found these plugs dangling after the bike started running rough...
Can't see where they came from tho...
2008 standard R3...
Thanks...

Attachments

• r3 1.jpg
    r3 1.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 4
  • r3 2.jpg
    r3 2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 4
Had a battery replaced at the dealer and found these plugs dangling after the bike started running rough...
Can't see where they came from tho...
2008 standard R3...
Thanks...
I don't know about the first picture, but the second is your OBDII plug. That stays disconnected on the bike, and is used for reading computer codes and playing with tuning via TuneECU and a LonElec cable.

The first look like the AIT sensor connector.
The 2nd is obdII connector and does not get plugged in except when accessing the ecu. It tucks beside the battery box

Edit - Just looked at the first pic again. The one by your thumb looks like the AIT sensor plug, the other I do not know.

Take a pic of the relative location on the bike and post. Hopefully @DEcosse can advise from there.

The bigger one looks like the plug for the Triumph power socket. Does it come from the blue taped bundle of wires?

The first one - The plug twixt thumb and finger is (I'd need the wire colours to be 100% sure) almost certainly the EVAP actuator plug - only ever used in anger on Californian models. I use it as a switched power supply for other things.
It is a standard Junior Power Timer connector often used for all sorts of automotive sensors including the AIT - Though the AIT wire is too short to reach there.

The little 3 pin one rings no bells - I'd need to go under teh cover and look.

The second photo, as has been stated, is teh On Board Diagnostics plug - which is NOT OBDII protocol. But the plug is the same.

I don't know about the first picture, but the second is your OBDII plug. That stays disconnected on the bike, and is used for reading computer codes and playing with tuning via TuneECU and a LonElec cable.

The first look like the AIT sensor connector.
The 2nd is obdII connector and does not get plugged in except when accessing the ecu. It tucks beside the battery box

Edit - Just looked at the first pic again. The one by your thumb looks like the AIT sensor plug, the other I do not know.

Take a pic of the relative location on the bike and post. Hopefully @DEcosse can advise from there.

So air intake you're thinking?

Attachments

• wires re (1).jpg
    wires re (1).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 3
  • wires re (2).jpg
    wires re (2).jpg
    137 KB · Views: 3
The second photo, as has been stated, is teh On Board Diagnostics plug - which is NOT OBDII protocol. But the plug is the same.
Hey @barbagris, for my own education, what's the difference between the Rocket's On Board Diagnostics and OBDII protocol? Lonelec calls it the OBDII plug: "This cable comes with a standard 16 pin OBD2 type plug which will plug directly into the diagnostic socket of Triumph models." Source: Diagnostic Interface for TuneECU Motorbikes

The clue is in the name - OBDII TYPE PLUG. It's just a block of plastic and you can put the pins and wires in that you care to use. As it happens Triumph chose to use the same power and data pin positions as the OBDII standard specifies. They could quite happily not have done so and royally screwed everybody.

The R3 uses what is basically OBDI protocols (KP2000 iirc). OBDII was built on OBDI so the common pids are the same - But in OBDI there are far fewer pids.

On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia

Back