Little furry thing with a death wish

Aivmid

Supercharged
Ride
2004 Standard
Riding to work yesterday at 6am a bloody stupid wallaby jumped right in front of me...I had time to hit the brakes on the damp road...back end went left, I went right. Hung onto it but I had a moment to contemplate my sins of the last 49 years! Closest I've ever gone to dropping the thing seriously. I was only doing 60 k and was surprised how little traction the bloody back end had in the circumstances...maybe it's time for the dark side?

Wallabies are in plague proportion down here at the moment. Need a good bushfire to fry a few of them!:D

Riding to work yesterday at 6am a bloody stupid wallaby jumped right in front of me...I had time to hit the brakes on the damp road...back end went left, I went right. Hung onto it but I had a moment to contemplate my sins of the last 49 years! Closest I've ever gone to dropping the thing seriously. I was only doing 60 k and was surprised how little traction the bloody back end had in the circumstances...maybe it's time for the dark side?

Wallabies are in plague proportion down here at the moment. Need a good bushfire to fry a few of them!:D

Glad you managed to aviode the Wallaby and keeping the R3 on its wheels.
What rear tyre are you running at the moment?

Obviously you were still riding too fast for those conditions. I don't believe that a different tire would have yielded a different result and I have logged about 30,000 miles with CTs on three bikes .

Glad to hear that you and the wallaby escaped a far grimmer outcome!

Glad you got through it safely. I know some people will start saying that only a car car could save you blah blah blah but your back tyre locked because of the pressure you put on the pedal, not because of the tyre. The trouble is when you hit an emergency the natural reaction is to stomp on the brake pedal s as we all do in our cars with ABS. Takes a bit of practice, self control and skill to be controlled and is not easy to finesse in an emergency, but I sure wouldn't be rushing to put a car tyre on the back of my motorcycle just for that - unless I'd given up on learning how to use my brakes properly. ;)

Glad you got through it safely. I know some people will start saying that only a car car could save you blah blah blah but your back tyre locked because of the pressure you put on the pedal, not because of the tyre. The trouble is when you hit an emergency the natural reaction is to stomp on the brake pedal s as we all do in our cars with ABS. Takes a bit of practice, self control and skill to be controlled and is not easy to finesse in an emergency, but I sure wouldn't be rushing to put a car tyre on the back of my motorcycle just for that - unless I'd given up on learning how to use my brakes properly. ;)
I wont regardless of your attempt take the bait as even a Darkside will still lock up it just takes a Bigger stomp on what is essentially an over powerfully back brake I All my 39 years of riding some diversely different bikes I have never had a rear brake as overpowered as the Rocket has, that rear disk would do the front end on most bikes proud not to mention the fantastic Brembo calliper, but there is an answer and after doing some research I ordered and it arrived today it takes the initial bite out of the brake pressure allowing a more controlled stop or so that what all the testers have said, they also said it wont stop you applying extra when needed, it just take the initial shock load reducing the chance of a lock up. I have only had a short ride with it today but it does actually make the brake feel smoother. It simply replaces the banjo bolt on the brake line to calliper and is not expensive

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 109
Must be loosing my touch. ;) :p

That's a real nifty sounding gizmo. What's it called and where did you get it?
I got it from CruiserCustomizing.com, while i was getting my replacement ISO grips (the girl is now back on the road yay!!) it is called a "Comfort Stop System Brake Unit" this link should take you to the correct page

Bagger Werx Comfort Stop System Brake Unit - 10mm x 1.25 - Japanese Models (02 - Newer)

I took the opportunity to change the brake fluid at the same time :)

Hans the gizmo interests me a lot, but what really caught my eye was the RED stripe on your rim in the photo...:):)

Hans the gizmo interests me a lot, but what really caught my eye was the RED stripe on your rim in the photo...:):)

And it is reflective aswell, Ruzzel gave to me but I need to find out where got as I want to redo it it is starting to split in places as I accidently stretched it on it was a prick to put on

maybe it is time to use the front brake a bit more !

Back