Lithium batteries

Simonb

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 roadster 2014
I’m looking to put a new battery on my 2014 Roadster.
I have a lithium on a 750 Trident and find the cranking power far superior to anything else, but has anyone used one on a Rocket?
If so what are your thought on it generally??

The size the Rocket requires makes them prohibitively expense for most I think. $300-$500 depending on brand and they struggle when it gets cold, as is typical for LiON battery. I love the technology, I just don't think it's quite ready for prime time use just yet.

I use one on my Daytona and it's (mostly) great.

Agree with above - I work with lithium batteries and in cold weather they just fail. Warm the cell and it' good to go. Any cells left on the van in storage - if fitted and the item fails - put on radiator and away you go.

LiFePO4 - I use them on both my bikes. But as has been stated they need to be warmed up if the weather is CHILLY. This is seldom a real issue here.

BUT - ime - the A123 Systems cells are more resistant to this symptom. My home built 8aH A123 Guzzi battery always turns/fires - independent of weather. The Triumph has one obtained from ZODIAC in Holland. it is closer to 6aH - it is fine above 10°C but below 5°C chokes a bit. But also below 5° I think other factors kick in too - sort of like a "Perfect Storm".

The R3 needs a bigger battery imo than those that are commercially "pushed" at us.

The next one I need I will have made by i-tecc in Germany - using A123 cells - In the USA I would look at the company that makes the one @warp9.9 uses (I forget the name).

I would probably go to 10aH - most normal commercial ones are 6 or 7aH.

A123 Cells are about 10€ each retail - At a minimum you need 12 (7.5aH) - and really I think 16(10aH). That's "rule of thumb" 160Euros - You need a BMS - 10-20Euros. The itecc 10AH is 240€ fully assembled and tested. They do a neater one all encased in a nice metal case and 12.5aH but the price soars.

The other option would be fit ANYTHING YOU LIKE and carry a small 2.5aH LiFePO4 boost pack in your jacket where it's warm.

Last edited:
I have had one for over 4 years, has been great without any issues. Expensive yes but smaller and much lighter. The original and heavier duty battery kept letting me down on cold mornings.

@Simonb I have used the Battery Tender Lithium and its great till the temp drops below 40F/4.5C. I goes down hill fast colder than that and therefore useless for me during four months of the year.

EarthX Lithium Iron Phospate (LiFePO 4)
upload_2018-5-4_23-9-42.png
Is the only way to go on the Rocket. It will never let you down. The price of 3 lead acid battery, but, 1. 2-year full replacement warranty (not pro-rated), 2. Good for at least 7-years, 3. Can sit on a shelf for a year and still maintain its charge, 4. Nominal voltage is 13.3V compared to a lead acid which is only 12.6V (a huge advantage for starting the Rocket), 5. the confidence of never letting you down.

Never have had a issue with getting the bike to start even when it is down in the teens temperature wise. Stock battery and still going strong. (2015 ROCKET X) Then again we ride it just about every day for a bit over 100 miles.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've used one on my Rocket 3 Roadster for past 3 years. Similar findings a @barbagris, generally so long as the temperature is above the low teens (Celsius), you're fine. Below 10C, it might not start first try, below 5C, get out the jumper cables.

Back