Lightning Strike

TOMCAT

Rage against the machine
Ride
2009 RIII Standard - 2008 Speed Triple -1995 900 T'Bird
Got caught in city this morning when a really violent storm front hit.. got text warnings from Donny and Catherine who were watching it on the BOM site. Riding along the motorway a lighning strike hit somewhere just behind me . Bounced the Rocket and i felt like a shock wave hit me .. was a real close one :eek: f#ckin lucky i know ... them 9 lives you see :D anyone else ever been zapped while riding ???

So if you were riding slower, you'd have been hit? :rolleyes: Try that one in court.

Glad you're OK mate.

Don't know of anyone being hit while riding but about 30 years ago I was at a friend's property near Goulburn looking out the window at his horses as a storm rolled in. Flash of lightning hit 2 horses, killed one instantly (and near cooked it!) and the other was lying there spasming. It survived but was partially paralised on one side. The sound was unbelievable. Not nice stuff. You were bloody lucky.
Probably a good thing you don't have Skip's sissy bar.....

Really spooked me i'll tell you.. seriously considered finding an overpass and waiting it out. Wanted to get to the pie shop before it closed though ... i was hungry :eek:

At least it missed you mate. 7am this morning I got home from a 21 hour work day absolutely stuffed .slept straight through that storm.

Yikes, that was a close one. Thunderstorms scare the crap out of me on a motorcycle.

I got caught in a thunderstorm shortly after buying the Rocket and lightning struck a telephone pole about 100 feet in front of me and lit it up like a christmas tree. Had to ride through some serious hail and high winds to get out of it. This same storm spawned a tornado nearby though I never saw it. The pic below shows what I was about to ride into, doesn't look like much and I just figured I would just get a sprinkle or two, but it developed fast and hammered me good.

Attachments

• the road to hail.JPG
    the road to hail.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 162
Nice photo is there any mountains out where you were riding .looks like you were about to ride into some unpleasant weather

Really spooked me i'll tell you.. seriously considered finding an overpass and waiting it out. Wanted to get to the pie shop before it closed though ... i was hungry :eek:

Lucky u made it home in one piece mate seems the city took a bit of a hiding today :eek:

Back