Lighting Question

sleeves

Nitrous
Ride
05 R3 Std
I recently fitted LED headlights and am very happy with them.

Am wondering if I can remove the Eastern Beaver kit I have and use it on my other R3 that has stock lights? It will also tidy up my birds nest under the tank.

My head says this is a bad idea as new headlights, even though they are LED, are still 45w per lamp so the current draw through the key switch is still going to be 7.5amp when I turn on the bike.

Something nags me though regarding the difference between the LED and an incandescent bulb that there is no "surge" current when switching on, if this is the case maybe I can remove the kit.

Thanks in advance for advice

I have removed my EB, but then I also have Ken's @DEcosse keyless ignition.
Perhaps Ken shall pipe up about this . . .

If this is a std (non-roadster) I would leave it.
Bull's bike a) is a roadster b) has keyless scheme where lights current are fed by a pdm60

If this is a std (non-roadster) I would leave it.
Bull's bike a) is a roadster b) has keyless scheme where lights current are fed by a pdm60

Thanks yes its a std I am considering moving the ignition as want to use the area behind the windscreen to jam my wet weather gear for winter rides.

Will leave in place

Get Ken’s keyless you’ll love it!!

I have fears as I find it hard enough to not lose the keys never mind an electronic fob. Once I left my bike keys on the reception counter on the third floor of Auckland hospital, luckily they were just lying there on the counter was about a 20 min trip each way.

Have been thinking about just fitting a hidden switch and nothing else

Memory like a goldfish sometimes

I have fears as I find it hard enough to not lose the keys never mind an electronic fob. Once I left my bike keys on the reception counter on the third floor of Auckland hospital, luckily they were just lying there on the counter was about a 20 min trip each way.

Have been thinking about just fitting a hidden switch and nothing else

Memory like a goldfish sometimes

I have the keyless ignition... love it!

I still have the key attached to the fob because I have to have it in order to remove the seat. Also if for some unknown reason the keyless does not start the bike I have the key to do so.

Last edited:
I have the keyless ignition... love it!

I still have the key attached to the fob because I have to have it in order to remove the seat. Also if for some unknown reason the keyless does not start the bike I have the key to do so.

I think your key will ONLY work if you disconnect and reconnect wiring as it was before the keyless install!

Otherwise you can leave it in the ignition for when you need it it - I do but mine is mounted in an 3" stub of a broken EZ-Boy recliner handle. Makes it easy to insert and retrieve key in the small gap available.

I have a spare fob from DEcosse but admit that after a year or two it still sits un-coded but I do take it with me and will con HansO into setting the frequency for me at the RAT rally in May. DEcosse has provided the instructions and it is simple but I am hopeless.;)

I think your key will ONLY work if you disconnect and reconnect wiring as it was before the keyless install!

Otherwise you can leave it in the ignition for when you need it it - I do but mine is mounted in an 3" stub of a broken EZ-Boy recliner handle. Makes it easy to insert and retrieve key in the small gap available.

I have a spare fob from DEcosse but admit that after a year or two it still sits un-coded but I do take it with me and will con HansO into setting the frequency for me at the RAT rally in May. DEcosse has provided the instructions and it is simple but I am hopeless.;)

You are, INDEED!
Have hadd my ken keyless for a few years now and once my hard head accomplished the learning curve - no problemas!
For backup, I too carry a key for the seat and the second fob with a fresh battery (carried separate) but I have never had to assemble it.
My second backup is to lift the tank, disconnect keyless, and reconnect ignition.

Now - here's a question for the "Keyless". Do you carry a Cellphone? - If so I wonder if Bluetooth activation would be interesting. I ask as I know MotoGadget now offer Bluetooth proximity activation. Ken will now be mithered.

Back