Light throttle sputter/miss

desoter

Standard Bore
Good day folks got an odd issue going on with my R3T hoping you fine people can help.

I have a 2009 R3T with just under 17k miles on it, I have a K&N air filter and the TOR pipes with the factory tune for these pipes.

About 2 months ago I noticed a very slight sputter at very small amounts of throttle, like less than 5%, low speed cruising say 20-30mph in 3rd gear.

The sputter has gotten worse so that the bike hitches and lurches a lot, it idles fine, and any throttle input above the tiny area its fine.

I took the bike into Triumph of Seattle and they re-flashed the tune and then we let it idle for 20 minutes to reset the fuel map. Bike ran fine for around 40 miles but has started to sputter again.

Another symptom is that when this throttle issue is happening the bike backfires out the exhaust, so for the 40ish miles after the re-tune no backfires, but they have started again.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the TPS just off hand, when the dealership check there were no codes from the bike.

thanks!

Last edited:
Really odd that the reflash + 12 minute adaptive reset fixed and it came back so quickly.

Id suggest doing the 12 minute again to let it reset it's adaptives and see if that fixes it again. If so, well, now you know its a trim issue, that is remedied when you remove the fuel adjustments from the adaptives, meaning it is likely the O2 sensor.

If so you have two options: Disable the O2 via tuneECU, problem solved or replace it :p

Really odd that the reflash + 12 minute adaptive reset fixed and it came back so quickly.

Id suggest doing the 12 minute again to let it reset it's adaptives and see if that fixes it again. If so, well, now you know its a trim issue, that is remedied when you remove the fuel adjustments from the adaptives, meaning it is likely the O2 sensor.

If so you have two options: Disable the O2 via tuneECU, problem solved or replace it :p
Smart people are cool. :coffee:

Change the vacuum lines and vacuum caps. Then do a12 minute tune. You can make your own vacuum lines and caps. Sounds like your ECU is trying to fix a vacuum leak. That is why it ran fine for 40 miles. I don't think it's your TPS

Is your K&N air filter the 2780 if it is it will be easy to change the vacuum lines

Mine used to do the same thing but only when the engine warmed up, i worked out that the OEM vacum tubes that were now sitting on top of the engine ( removed OEM airducting and installed tripple filters) were collapsing as they got hot and under vacum and throwing the ECU readings out, fix was to replace all vacum lines with silicine ones.

Before you change anything I would plug into the ecu and check the vacuum readings on each cylinder to see if there is anything different between the cylinders. Thengo for the vacuum line plugs and low tension coil wires. Depening on the outcome I would then look at a ISCV check and possible reset to make sure the ecu is ib synch with the tps stepper motor and thus all other sensors.
I'll point out with 17k on her you might want to change the fuel filter whist the tank is up.

Before you change anything I would plug into the ecu and check the vacuum readings on each cylinder to see if there is anything different between the cylinders. Thengo for the vacuum line plugs and low tension coil wires. Depening on the outcome I would then look at a ISCV check and possible reset to make sure the ecu is ib synch with the tps stepper motor and thus all other sensors.
I'll point out with 17k on her you might want to change the fuel filter whist the tank is up.
+1 on that

Back