Lifting gas tank on a 2020 GT

08nzrocket

.040 Over
Hi I tried to lift the gas tank on my GT today and it didn't, want to budge, I removed the strap and the bolt under the front end of the strap and removed the instrument cluster and the tank would only lift approx 150mm. Are these different to the Roadster in that instance? Trying to connect a radar detector up to the battery and hide the wires in a tidy manner.

I had the same issue and decided to go another route. I think it's the fuel line holding it but I decided to figure it out later.

Hi, no the seat has been removed and I was thinking along the same way about the fuel lines but that would make spark plug changes and maintenance quite an issue.

voila pour vous si vous avez un traducteur en français

Here it is, if you can translate the French:

Basically,

1. Make sure ignition is OFF.
2. Empty the tank to facilitate lifting
3. Remove the fuse for the fuel pump, under the seat
4. Start the motor and run until it quits, to empty the fuel line
5. Turn OFF the ignition.
6. Remove the strap for the tank
7. Undo the attachment at the rear of the tank
8. Lift the rear of the tank 5 to 10mm
9. Remove the fuel line from the injector fuel rail
10. Return the tank rear to its place and loosely reattach the tank
11. Lift the front of the tank 10 to 15 mm
12. Near the front of the tank, remove the cover for the fuel pump
13. Disconnect the hose for the evaporative control system
14. Lift the tank

NOTE: Do NOT disconnect the coils

IMG_20200311_192419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sometimes you gotta take off that chrome trim piece on the left side of the tank, it holds onto the coolant tank. I just pull mine, flex the trim piece and get it off. takes a little finesse to put it back on , but no problems.

I have a copy of the service manual, don't know how to get it uploaded onto here.

sometimes you gotta take off that chrome trim piece on the left side of the tank, it holds onto the coolant tank. I just pull mine, flex the trim piece and get it off. takes a little finesse to put it back on , but no problems.

I have a copy of the service manual, don't know how to get it uploaded onto here.
Wrong bike James theirs is the newer plastic bike !

got ya. the pdf file service manual is 25 mb. how do we go about sharing it?

Back