Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
After balancing design, reviews and overall cost, I pulled the trigger and bought a Truck-Lite 27270C LED Headlight. There may be better units, but anything has to be better that the piece of crap on my Rocket touring. It seems the lens is fogging again in my headlight and will have to be cleaned once more. I bought the light from DriveTrain America with a 30 day refund if there are issues. Boy were they quick! I ordered it yesterday and it was on my porch today. All for only $11.00 shipping from Iowa. They assured me it was an OE product and was "not" a Chinese knockoff.

Anyway, here is my question...Has anyone replaced their touring running lights with the 4 1/2" 80275 matching auxiliary lights offered by Truck-Light? If so, was it an easy switch? Hard wiring it in will not be a problem for me if that is an issue. I have never even checked the size of the shell or housing so they may not even fit.

Its a nice day here today in Michigan..I may even go out and swap out my headlight.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Attachments

• Truck-Light.JPG
    Truck-Light.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 2
The headlight is in...an easy install. I just had to bend the metal aligning tab inside the ring a bit. It helped lock and align the old light in place (still a very tight fit so it doesn't turn or move). A couple more clips and it really won't go anywhere. The face of the new light sets forward of the ring about 1/2 to 5/8 of inch. It doesn't look bad, but just set out a bit.

Man...what a difference as far as I can tell when I light it up in my trailer. A broad wide white beam of light. I just have one major issue...The auxiliary lights look so yellow and whimpy by comparison I am going to have to buy a set of the same style lights to make things look right. As soon as someone lets me know about whether they will fit I guess I am going to be...In for a penny, in for a pound. Here are a couple of pictures in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Headlight1.jpg
    Headlight1.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Headlight2.jpg
    Headlight2.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 4
Nice work . . . Truck Lite is a fine product.
The only concern I would have is IF the offset will allow water to get inside the housing.

Nice work . . . Truck Lite is a fine product.
The only concern I would have is IF the offset will allow water to get inside the housing.

Well, there are drain holes in the housing and I do not believe the other light made for a water tight seal either. It would be pretty easy to seal around it. As for my earlier question about the auxiliary lights, the question was answered in another post I found thanks to @slidderhd.

Foglight (Highway light) bulb replacement

Attachments

• 11983_4a93039371c17e604accbc398389ced0.jpg
    11983_4a93039371c17e604accbc398389ced0.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 2
Well, the deed is done. Here is a little followup.

FYI... For anyone thinking about replacing their "auxiliary lights", I have a word of advice. I pulled a fools error by not checking the polarity of the wires inside the shell. I made the assumption that the black wire would be negative and the white wire (with the protective boot on it) would be positive. I mean,,,why protect a negative wire from shorting with a rubber boot I asked myself? Fortunately for me the lights are protected against the wrong polarity and using spade connectors all around made for an easy switch of the wires. All the spade connectors I did were soldered and well protected with heat shrink tubing. The retaining clips in the ring have a lot of tension on them. The first one I removed got away from me and flew all over being deflected off several items. A few choice words came out of my mouth as I searched the basement. 10 minutes later I found it. Anyway, the lights work great now!

A few tweaks in the spring should do it as I may have to turn them ever so slightly in the rings to get them lined up perfectly straight across. I can't quite see them correctly in my trailer and I didn't want to start the bike, back it out and do a major warmup to get good look. I can't wait to try them out in the real world and I find the half light look appealing.

Attachments

• My Truck Lites (2).jpg
    My Truck Lites (2).jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Truck Lites On (2).jpg
    Truck Lites On (2).jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 4
Back