Lengthening Your Front Brake Line

1olbull

Riding Motor Since 1950
Ride
2012 R3R "Kong" - 2011 R3R "YurMama"
I am just finishing a PITA bar change. Everything needed to be lengthened!
It required me to extend all the wiring to the control boxes on both sides of the handlebars.
I also had to replace the two throttle and 1 clutch cables (Barnett +4" Platinum at $272.82!!!).
The front brake line that runs from the master cylinder to under the right side of the fuel tank had to be replaced.

Thanks to the research by Rob @Claviger I found & then mistakenly bought four adapter fittings that take the metric OEM brake line to 3/8 X 24 US fittings. I have three for sale.

All you need to do is buy a length of your choice open end US steel braided brake line and the banjo fitting of your choice.

Pictured below are the three adapter fittings, one straight banjo and an unused steel braided cable with affixed banjo. Cable is 6" over at 28". The OEM length is 22".
Fittings.jpg
Pictured below are the braided steel and OEM front brake lines side-by-side.

Cables.jpg

If interested, give me a yank via PM.

What type of bars and risers do you have?

I have @chandelierman T-Bars and have not extended anything. Though I had planned to run the master cylinder line behind the upper triple clamp. But that wasn't a necessity either

I am running my bars as well without having changed anything ... I have fitted these bars on 07/57/09 and 2010 bikes and never needed to change anything ..... at most I have relocated the front brake line from the rear of the top yoke to in front of it ( more for looks than functionality) tho it seems some bikes have the brake line already in front of the yoke ( I guess it depends who put the bike together at the factory ) .... the only thing that has come to my attention is that some early 04/05 bikes have got a shorter brake line

I am running my bars as well without having changed anything ... I have fitted these bars on 07/57/09 and 2010 bikes and never needed to change anything ..... at most I have relocated the front brake line from the rear of the top yoke to in front of it ( more for looks than functionality) tho it seems some bikes have the brake line already in front of the yoke ( I guess it depends who put the bike together at the factory ) .... the only thing that has come to my attention is that some early 04/05 bikes have got a shorter brake line
everything about @1olbull is short

What type of bars and risers do you have?

I have @chandelierman T-Bars and have not extended anything. Though I had planned to run the master cylinder line behind the upper triple clamp. But that wasn't a necessity either

Not running those bars. Wanted more pullback.
New bars have 16" pullback, measured straight back from the base of the bar.

Scootworks - Hydraulic Line Extender for 1" & 1.25" handlebars

Scootworks' BLX - Brake Line Extender
Easily Extend Hydraulic Brake & Clutch Hoses

The BLX™ by Scootworks- Available for Handlebars of 1" and 1.25" in diameter. - A great and cost effective alternative to replacing the complete hydraulic hose system on bikes with ABS and/or coordinated braking!

This system was originally designed as an answer for obtaining more front brake hose on bikes with ABS or coordinated braking. A Honda VTX1800 is a good example, where the front brake hose is actually part of an integrated system with several hoses, and a simple longer front brake hose can't be installed. A custom build to lengthen the front brake hose in the handlbar area costs $500+! This alone prohibits many handlebars and handlebar risers from being installed for comfort or customization. You simply install our BLX100™ or BLX125™, blead the line, and you're finished.

Another great application for this is on baggers with dual front brake calipers, where access to the lower manifold and lower dual brake lines is difficult. The is an easy installation, and often less expensive than buying an extended front hose set for bike of that type.

The BLX100™ is for 1" handlebars, the BLX125™ is for 1.25" handlebars. This uses a conventional 10mm banjo size, and is compatable with most all H-D, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph, etc. It can be purchased with the extension hose, or can be purchased as the manifold only (manifold, 2 banjo bolts, 4 crush washers, and mounting straps) for custom applications. This can also be used on bikes with a hydraulic clutch and avoid having to purchase the lengthy clutch hose...and MUCH easier to install, too!

The Scootworks BLX™ is also available for 7/8" & 1-1/2" handlebars on special request. Custom lengths are also available on special request.

-> Scootworks BLX100™ for 1" Handlebars, BLACK hose

-> Scootworks BLX100™ for 1" Handlebars, BRAIDED hose
-> Scootworks BLX125™ for 1-1/4" Handlebars, BLACK hose
-> Scootworks BLX125™ for 1-1/4" Handlebars, BRAIDED hose
1a.jpg

Mock-up on typical 1" 'Beach Bar'

2a.jpg

Attaches to handlebars for a clean method of extention.

3a.jpg

No need to have an expensive custom multi-hose assembly fabricated, when you only need a few inches at the handlebars!

4a.jpg

Available as a 'manifold only' for custom applications

5a.jpg

Radiused bottom of a clean fit against your handlebars in an obscure location.

6a.jpg

Full kit with manifold, extension hose, 2 banjo bolts, 4 copper crush washers, and attachment straps.

Compared to a simple fitting at the OEM connection under the tank, this seems expensive and cumbersome to me.

Back