Medic

.060 Over
It's that time of year again. Fall is setting in and the temperatures are dropping around the country. In the past, I have worn sweat pants under my jeans and dressed in layers but I never really had cold weather gear.

I got a really nice Triumph leather jacket and I am in the market for some leather chaps that will keep the wind (and a small amount of water) off my legs. I would like them to be warm, so perhaps they would need to have some kind of lining? I don't know. Like I said, I've never bought gear like this before.

Any suggestions?

Since you asked, stay away from the chaps and get yourself a pair of leather pants. Chaps are best left to the Village People crowd. One trip sliding down the road on your backside will quickly reveal the shortcoming of chaps.

Alternatively there are some very good textile alternatives that with liners offer rain protection as well. If you are interested in some of the highest rated gear amongst the Advrider crowd check out Motoport. Not cheap, but the best rarely is.

Kevlar Motorcycle Apparel - the Best in the World

I appreciate your concern GP, but I'm not really wearing it to protect my skin in the event of a wreck. I'm just looking for a classic look and cold weather comfort I can remove when I get where I'm going. Full pants were a good idea. I'll look into it.

I appreciate your concern GP, but I'm not really wearing it to protect my skin in the event of a wreck. I'm just looking for a classic look and cold weather comfort I can remove when I get where I'm going. Full pants were a good idea. I'll look into it.

I would think that someone that goes by Medic would be more cautious about protecting his skin in a wreck. My brother in law works for the Fire Department here in Ga and he gives me **** every time I suit up if I am not wearing gloves.

Anyways back to the topic, if you want to ride around looking like you just stepped out of a YMCA video go for it. If you want good cold weather protection get yourself a nice three layer textile suit. You can wear it year round, and it will protect your butt when you do end up taking an off.

Keep in mind you are riding the biggest, baddest cruiser ever built.

Just my opinion, and you know what that is worth. On another note, my dad used to wear leathers and he rode in all kinds of weather. You are going to still have to layer to keep warm with chaps, they keep the wind from blowing through your jeans and keep the front side of your legs dry. Wind blowing up your crack though will keep your core temp cold.

If you'll go to just about any decent sized harley shop you'll find high quality chaps.
available in different styles, sizes, and some even without that UGLY harley logo..
at least not openly emblazened with the logo, mine is embossed,
but you have to look closely to see it, and if they look that close, I'm leaving...;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will keep them in mind when I am picking out something comfortable and functional to wear.

good thing you didn't post this on the .com site. They have more Brits over there and they go ape-sh*t over chaps.

Personally I always thought they were just another symbol of the H-D crowd until my brother gave me a pair. Boy, was I wrong. I was surprised by how well they worked in the cold weather.

Depending on your budget, you can find some on www.hotleathers.com on the low end to the high end at H-D shops like Skip suggested.

If you're frugle, Leatherup.com has chaps and full leather pants. I tried the chaps and they are comfortable, but the wind goes right through the ****** and it's cold. The full leather pants are great and do a good job of keeping me warm with only jeans on under them. Chaps are also easier to get off. Hope you find what your looking for.

It's that time of year again. Fall is setting in and the temperatures are dropping around the country. In the past, I have worn sweat pants under my jeans and dressed in layers but I never really had cold weather gear.

I got a really nice Triumph leather jacket and I am in the market for some leather chaps that will keep the wind (and a small amount of water) off my legs. I would like them to be warm, so perhaps they would need to have some kind of lining? I don't know. Like I said, I've never bought gear like this before.

Any suggestions?

Chaps - Barney's Leather

Barney's.... the best you're going to find for the price.

tdragger is right about chaps at this side of the pond The only blokes that wear them here dance in night clubs with other blokes to Kylie Minogue. la la la lalalalala:eek:. Taking that into consideration i went for my first ever warm water proof trousers in 39yrs of riding. Now i've got them i wish i'd done it years ago, me knees might still bend properly if i had hung up my levis in favour of a pair of textile cargo trousers. Fit like jeans but with pockets on the thighs, all black with no silly logos and a zip out thermal lining. I left the knee protectors in for extra warmth for my poor little knee's but took the hip protector out cos they stuck in my leg. Can't really fault them for £50 and they won't go baggy at the knee like leather.

Back