GaryA

Supercharged
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Well, the saga continues.

Had the seal replaced and all has been, sealed!

Until yesterday, under the bike checking out the starter motor and what is involved in that, and the rear drive is leaking again.

Not badly, yet.

I am back to the shop that did the work but I don't think they understand what needs to be done.

Last time I asked if they had run some wet and dry around the hub that is in the seal i was met with blank looks.

I prefer to do this stuff my self but am not able to at the moment, I may be able to get into the workshop when they work on the bike though.

So my question is this, does anyone have a section view of this area, or even a hand sketch from when they have had it apart that they would be willing to share.

That way I will be able to fore warn them about what is involved.

Thanks

Sorry, out of the bottom of the rear housing, out the small rectangular opening

Well, the saga continues.

Had the seal replaced and all has been, sealed!

What seal was replaced? If it was the pinion seal, I don't think that is a replaceable part on these units (at least no seals, brgs, or gears are listed in the parts breakdown from Bike Bandit 2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster Parts - Best OEM Parts Diagram for 2012 Rocket III Roadster Motorcycles ). You might be able to pull the seal and match up one from an after market bearing/seal supplier.

Last time I asked if they had run some wet and dry around the hub that is in the seal i was met with blank looks.

You're getting a blank look from me also. What is wet and dry? Where do you put it "around the hub that is in the seal"????

Have you verified that the leak is differential oil? If there is fluid coming from the witness hole under the final drive input area, it could be from the grease used to lube the splines. What about an oil leak coming from the torsional damper running down the driveshaft tube to the witness hole? Can you take some pictures?

The drive on my 2013 was replaced twice under warranty for the same thing. 3rd one was the charm.

i THINK that u would have a hard time replacing the pinion seal because it has a collar pressed on it
now there would have to be two other seals in it and they may be able to be replaced i do not know.
now the surface may or may not need to be sanded and then polished it depends on the surfaced. if it looks like the surface of the yokes sanding would be bad. if it looks and feels like a thread when u run your thumb nail over it then u should sand and then polish.
my best guess would be that if it is leaking it would be leaking of the carrier seals and coming out that rectangle hole.
that gear lube is thick u should be able to take samples of the leak and compare it to engine oil,diff oil and to some new diff gear oil.
hth herman

Sorta disappointed . . .
When I saw "Leaky" I reckoned to be riding back to Texas again!!!
Gonna Cry.jpg

Well it is the rear diff oil leaking.
It was the large seal around the splined hub that was replaced.
Taken the bike in this morning so the mechanic could have a look before I cleaned it up and there was oil leaking from the breather!
That was not there yesterday, so it looks like a breather clean and see what happens.

Thanks for the input everyone.

If you look at the photos in the wheel spline post of Claviger you will see the large seal around the hub with the splines inside it.
That is the seal that was replaced

The drive on my 2013 was replaced twice under warranty for the same thing. 3rd one was the charm.
cooter,

What was your doing exactly.

Found mine is leaking out the breather as well now, hope its just final drive oil.
Going to empty and measure how much comes out then refill with the correct amount.

Back