Leak at clutch lifter shaft

Mad Dog

Turbocharged
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
I’ve got an oil leak, think it’s coming out under the clutch lifter arm. Red arrow in the pic below is my first guess...reasonable?
That part appears to be a seal but isn’t ID’d in the manual or online parts diagram. What is that? An o-ring, washer, packing? Anybody know what size?
Can I pick it out if I remove the lifter arm and push a new one in place? If not, what’s it take to make it stop leaking oil there?
Thanks guys.

C0FC603A-909D-4047-B3F5-9521E2B28D38.jpeg
FDE5A7FE-4BE0-4CAA-AD18-C437C9EFABD4.jpeg

I haven't removed one yet on a Rocket but you should be able to pick/pry it out. I've installed a lot of seals on splined shafts on Ross Steering valves. I usually drive a small screw driver/punch/pick into the seal and pry it out. You should sleeve the splines with plastic to prevent cutting the seal surface. Simply slide seal over, tap into place with a deep socket or pipe and then remove plastic sleeve :)

Last edited:
Thank you sir!
Can I pick it out from the top?
I havent ever tried, but suspect so. The lifter shaft it going to want to unwind from the return spring but only a turn. As long as the spring isn't damaged with a little tspe over the splines she should go in. What's getting me is after all the years the rocket been out why all of a sudden are they leaking? Thats what is getting me wondering. I mean ive blown head gaskets stretch head bolts detonating. Even had the detorats eat pistons yet I've never had one leak. Not even with boost.

What's getting me is after all the years the rocket been out why all of a sudden are they leaking? Thats what is getting me wondering. I mean ive blown head gaskets stretch head bolts detonating. Even had the detorats eat pistons yet I've never had one leak. Not even with boost.

Seems there are two of us now with the same problem.

@Mad Dog mine only leaks when I run the RPM's up to 6000 rpm otherwise it doesn't leak.

My leak thread: Clutch shaft oil leak

As Warp said the clutch shaft wants to rotate when you remove the cable and then again when you remove the arm. The seal is a single lip shaft seal. It is about 15mm OD and about 3mm deep. Easy to pull out with a pick but be careful not to pound or push the pick through it as there is a needle roller bearing behind it.

One of the reasons this can start to leak is if crankcase pressure increases. Thus look for a dirty or blocked breather at the rear of the engine. The second is that some of the clutch shafts in question are softer than others and Brinell where it runs in the needle bearing. This lets the shaft move radially more than the seal can accommodate. If you have been adjusting your clutch free play and find the free play inconsistent, this may be part of the problem too.

Seems there are two of us now with the same problem.

@Mad Dog mine only leaks when I run the RPM's up to 6000 rpm otherwise it doesn't leak.

My leak thread: Clutch shaft oil leak
Ya I have a suspicion but won't know until somones fails and they open it up. I'm thinking worn lifter shaft so when it rotates it flexes or really bows the shaft. But its just a suspicion. Other then that I am leaning towards crank case not venting properly or too much crank case pressure building. But its just my thoughts no data to prove anything yet.

Back