GPMAZ

Staff member
Avon makes a 200 60 16 V rated Cobra rear tire. They recommend a 5.5" rim, the R3T has a 5" rim. The width is 7.7" vs 7.2" and the diameter is 25.6" vs 24.8" for the stock tire.

Having just installed a set of Jardines, I really could use a bit more rear tire.

So, what are the chances the larger tire would actually fit on the R3T?

the stock rim is 5 inches wide and tire requires 5 1/2 inch..how is the tire going to bead properly and stay inflated when riding??A bump/cross the railroad track/hit a manhole cover/etc. may cause the tire to lose the beading and hence air loss.Keep an air compressor handy if you make this alteration.Personally,buy a roadster and you will have more success adding hard bags!!!

Personally,buy a roadster and you will have more success adding hard bags!!!

Yeah, but that would be taking the easy way out.

or go to a car tire

I was afraid somebody was going to suggest that. I've read a boatload of the threads praising the car tire, but I just don't know if I could pull the trigger. Something about old dog and new tricks seems to apply. Too many little voices in my head saying its not a good idea. But, I'm going to keep reading.

thats what stb is planning on doing when she gets ready for a new back tire

Hi Harry,

Can't give you the exact sizes right now, but a large number of Vulcan 2000 riders moved from the stock 200 tire to a 240, using the same rim. They were told the beading wouldn't hold and all sorts of disasters would occur (sound familiar ?:D).

So far I have seen zero reports of any issues. I ran two 240s on the V2K over a period of 4 years with no issues.

The major reason for upsizing was a fatter look on the rear, and perhaps a larger contact spot, but no one could really notice the visual difference, and the arguments on whether there is actually a larger contact patch are still continuing. (so there's no need to start it here). As a result, not so many are upsizing now.

I'll see if I can dig out some of the figures.

Pete

Back