Lane Filtering Rules changed (NSW only)July !st 2014

cusso ken

Living Legend
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 touring
G'day Rocketeers
From July 1st 2014 NSW fill be the first State in Oz to allow legally lane filtering (riding between stopped cars in traffic) on multi lane roads ie traffic jambs, traffic lights,
It will still be illegal to travel left of cars in the kerbside lane, filtering must be done at 30kph or less only fully licensed riders permitted ie learners or provisional riders excluded ,lane splitting is not permitted ie riding between moving vehicles.
Straight from the horses mouth ,a very nice Police motor cycle officer who held me up for 15 minutes while he breath tested me and did a vehicle"safety check" and outstanding warrant on me and rego check on my bike yesterday ,it must have been the pick on a Rocket Day!then wanted to ask about the Rocket ,and finally gave me a riders information sheet on the filtering ,I asked him how many riders he had booked for filtering previously ,he replied none as he reckons it is safer than a car or truck rear ending a bike at lights ect ,a wise young copper ,

That travelling down the left hand side off the road. I did that going into Byron bay until I came up behind the highway patrol car ,I then got the cops attention and indicated to see if he would let me by as he also was stuck in the two kilometer traffic ,he just waived me on .:)

About ***cin time .. Australian state is moving into the 21st century .. been an accepted practise in a lot of civilised (and all uncivilised ) countries for years. Queenslanders just keep doing what you've been doing .. it's a $80 no demerit points ping if captured.. lost count how many times I've been done.

I've been reminded a few times that the bicycle lane isn't for motorbikes, but never been booked. Only ever use it at traffic lights and it's much safer than negotiating to rows of cars where there's always some prick who delights in closing the gap just to stop you.

I've been reminded a few times that the bicycle lane isn't for motorbikes, but never been booked. Only ever use it at traffic lights and it's much safer than negotiating to rows of cars where there's always some prick who delights in closing the gap just to stop you.

I must confess to accidently knocking a few mirrors off on cars that seem to close the gap , then again I have also rubbed a set of tri axel Semi 1000x20 tyres up the side of a few cars when turning left from the right lane that chose to ignore the" give way to turning vehicle sign" on the back of the trailer , then just watch them out the mirror as you drive off ,I just didn't see them honest,

If I couldn't filter I'd be so **** frustrated being stuck in the queue with all those cagers...shame they wont let you lane split too!

I reckon you'd generally get away with it as long as it didn't look dangerous. Seems to be my experience so far. Just pick your moments wisely.

Back