Kuryakyn Universal ISO Grips

SteveX

.040 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket Roadster
I have noted that a number of R3 owners have opted for the Kuryakyn ISO grips. I have just fitted the Black ISO grips to my ride and thought I would share the experience, as the options are limited in the Black range for the R3 and subsequently they present a few extra hurdles when installing.

During my pre-purchase investigations I noted that there are two types of Chrome ISO grips suited to the R3;

> Part # 6236 ~ 1” grips complete with throttle tube
> Part # 6240 ~ a universal 1” grip (to be used with existing throttle tube)

In the ISO Black range the only option for the R3 is Part # 6340, a 1” universal grip that requires using the existing throttle tube.

The obvious advantage of the #6236 grip is that you just disconnect the throttle cables, remove the throttle grip/tube unit and replace with the new grip/tube, reconnect the cables and you’re done.

The universal grips require the removal of the OEM grip from the throttle tube (and then considerable modification which I will come to) before fitting the new ISO grip to the OEM tube.

Looking for the path of least resistance I decided to contact Kuryakyn to see if they could supply a 6236 throttle tube only that I could use with the 6340 Black ISO grips. Sadly I was informed that they do not supply the throttle tube separately. My next effort was to try and find a generic throttle tube suited to the R3 that I could fit the universal grip to (in attempt to avoid butchering the OEM throttle tube), but once again no joy. I also found out that Triumph do not supply a throttle tube separate to the whole grip assembly either.

So back to plan A ~ utilise the OEM throttle tube. For anyone who is going to tackle this be aware that the following effort and modifications are required;

1. Remove the OEM grip by either cutting it off the tube or by peeling it of the tube with some effort. Note that the grip has to be pried off the throttle tube collar first.
2. Once the grip is off then all of the ribs have to be removed from the OEM throttle tube (approx 50 or so). Using a Stanley knife or similar makes it a relatively easy process.
3. The next modification (if you want a neat finish) is to cut off / trim the collar from the tube. This is probably easier with the tube removed from the bars which will require the throttle cables to be disconnected.
4. Once the throttle tube is trimmed back to a uniform round sleeve then the sanding begins. The universal 1” grip is too tight to fit over the tube at this stage. I used 40 grit sandpaper and after a solid hour or so the new grips were able to fit over the tube but still required considerable persuasion (and lubricant).
5. Once the grip is in place check to see if the throttle will return when released. If the grip is still too tight it will squeeze the throttle tube creating enough friction against the handlebars to stop the throttle from rolling off automatically when released. Don’t despair – remove the grip and continue sanding.

At the end of the process I am very happy with the look & feel of the ISO Black grips and believe that the afternoon’s efforts were worthwhile. Note: the frustration and pain is best soothed by a few beers on completion.

If you like the Chrome ISO grips I would highly recommend the #6236 model complete with throttle tube.

Hi Steve. I told you I was pretty sure my chrome ISO grips came with a throttle tube. Well, now I know for sure! That sounds like a hell of a job. With the benefit of hindsight, I might have been inclined to buy the chrome ones, pull out the rubber insert and paint them black. Easy enough to do and redo after a year or so if necessary and you'd still have you OEM set-up intact. They look good though. You'll have to come in and show me.

It has been quite a few years now but I seem to recall installing the ISO grips over the existing throttle tube without having to cut the ribs off and the sanding steps. I did this based on a thread on this board. But like I said this was back in 2007 or so.

The black grips should look awesome. Post a pic if you have one.

Here's a picture of mine and yes it's a triple ***** to get the throttle side on. Lots of work but worth it now.

I love the look of the black but wouldn't go through the trouble for anything... Any chance you could have them powder coated instead of painted?

As Richard eluded to you could remove the rubber inserts and possibly re-coat the chrome (I am not sure what prep or process is required).

Biker1059 is right in that it is a triple ***** of a job but that said you get to spend an afternoon with your ride and many years of admiring & enjoying the grips.

Don't be scared - just do it ;)

Pins and Needles

Hi Guys
Are the padded grips better than the originals? The reason I ask is because I seem to be getting a lot of pins and needles in both hands when I am riding lately and I find myself streching my fingers over the grips or shaking my hands when riding to return circulation. Has anyone else suffered the same discomfort and if so how did you fix the problem?

Thanks

They'd be worth a try mate. I reckon they'd be a help with your problem.
Another Aussie's joined us! Welcome. Suggest to click on Forums above and start a new thread to introduce yourself. Then scroll down the list of Forums and have a look at the RDU posts, especially anything talking about Nabiac.

Hi Guys
Are the padded grips better than the originals? The reason I ask is because I seem to be getting a lot of pins and needles in both hands when I am riding lately and I find myself streching my fingers over the grips or shaking my hands when riding to return circulation. Has anyone else suffered the same discomfort and if so how did you fix the problem?

Thanks
Firstly Welcome mate you must live close to a good friend of mine who lives in Kellyville I use the ISO grips for the exact reason as you but to further improve thing I also installed "Heat Demon" internal bar heated grips which also help, unless you have Carpel tunnel syndrome you probably have as I have early signs of Arthritis in your hands

Hi Guys

Thanks

Hello BigKev.

I fitted these grips for two reasons - cosmetic and long ride comfort.

While I am very happy with the cosmetics and I am continuing to get used to the feel of the grips when out riding. They are definitely fatter which should help ease the pain on those lengthy sectors. You notice the increased diameter when you go to reach for the clutch lever which seems just that little further away (easily overcome by adjusting the throw of the lever).

The grips themselves feel a little strange at first as the rubber inserts are a bit spongy (more noticeable when fanging hard and your grip tightens up). In saying that the more I get used to them the more I like them but they are a totally different feel to the OEM grips.

You can fit a Throttle Boss to one or both grips which provide relief by allowing you to rest your palms on them and hence relaxing your finger grip. I have the smaller throttle boss fitted where Biker has the larger one (as posted above).

Anyway I hope you find a method to relieve the pins & needles and if nothing else these grips will look good :D

Attachments

• ISO Grip.jpg
    ISO Grip.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 416
Back