Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips, for what it's worth

LiteFiter

Stock Early 2013 R3R: VIN #555036/Upstate NY
Ride
2013 Roadster: "65" Triumph T120 Custom Chop: "79" Yamaha XS 1100
Just putting this out there for anybody who may be interested in putting on the Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips, I checked with the company, they assured me they would fit, I will assure you they won't, at least not fit and be safe. Took 2.5 hours to mount the throttle with all the modifications to the sleeve just to get it on, then, the tolerance is so tight, it caused the throttle sleeve to be so out of round, it is grabbing the handlebar and not allowing the throttle to turn freely, like running with a friction lock on all the time. Did a 40 each bike ride with it the next day, hoping that maybe after a while, it might loosen up. That didn't happen, don't think it will happen, and is to dangerous to try anyway. I had to stay at the rear of the pack, because there is no finessing the throttle, I was either suddenly going to fast or to slow, because of all the sticking. There is a chrome version, which apparently some on this forum have used, which is fine, the sleeve comes already installed. Local shop I brought it to was offering 15% comfort items and 15% off install. I was to pay $105 out the door, and most of that was the cost of the grip at $90. 20 minutes for the whole job. When all was said and done, it was $240, most of that labor. NOW, after realizing this is not going to work, another $105 for a new set of grips. Just putting it out there for anyone that might consider doing this change. They do look great, fit the color of the bike well, but, in my experience, not worth the hassle. Jon

It looks like you don't use the metal bar end weights with these grips. Aren't they there to dampen vibration ? I never tried taking mine off to see how difference they make.

It looks like you don't use the metal bar end weights with these grips. Aren't they there to dampen vibration ? I never tried taking mine off to see how difference they make.

You can get optional end weight to suit, I have them and love them.

Grips

To be honest, I rode about 70 miles, had such a death grip on them, didn't even notice a difference.:D Jon

We have the (chrome) Kury isos on our '11 Roadster and we removed the bar end weights to mount them. Removing the bar end weights does NOT improve the vibration felt in the grips. Our hands begin to go numb after an hour or so in the saddle. We live with it.

We trudge on.

We have the (chrome) Kury isos on our '11 Roadster and we removed the bar end weights to mount them. Removing the bar end weights does NOT improve the vibration felt in the grips. Our hands begin to go numb after an hour or so in the saddle. We live with it.

We trudge on.
Yeah when I bought mine I got the ISO grip end weights and I tried it without them and could feel a slight vibration (and having mild arthritis in the hands is not good)which disappeared with the weights on, they also look better than the blank end caps.
Speaking of Arthritis I also installed Heat Demon internal grip heaters and while some may be hotter they work just fine to keep my hands useable after a few (3 or 4) hours riding where before I was in pain and my hands would go numb after only 1 1/2 hours ride:)

I put Kuryakyn's flame ISO grips on mine before they were listed for the Rocket. The ones I used were for a Honda VT1100 Shadow and they fit the bars and cables perfectly. I had them on for many thousands of miles.. I'm at 83K now and just recently had to change them out.

The plastic holes for the pull cable had wollowed out and almost left me stranded on I-35.. Found a quick fix (piece of hubcap) on the side of the road to get me going though.

I have Avon grips on now.. I'm okay with them since I spent the money, but the Kuryakyns are just as good if not slightly better

I installed the Avon's as well but not the "golf ball" grips - just the straight ones. Keeps the grip small with gloves on and they fit great. Can't use the bar ends but don't feel any vibration at all

Back