Kury Iso Grip Throttle Sleeve Tab Broke

mcather

Supercharged
Ride
08 GL1800, 13 R3T, 80 LTD 1000, 70 BSA Lightning
Reprise. Now after 8000 more miles, my Kury throttle grip tab broke (see pic). Does someone make a metal replacement? The first time it was the Triumph heated grip. This time the Kury grip. I did have a back up plastic throttle sleeve I bought on Ebay and had cut to fit and tested before I placed it in the bag; so I nursed it home.

Maybe the throttle needs to be set up a little looser? Any advice?

My wife says it's dangerous, which it is. How efffeed up is it that a $17K "Touring" bike has the cheapo clams that cut throttle sleeves and break? I'm pissed. I read about this weakness on the Tbird too.

Metal sleeve or drive by wire.

Cat
2015-07-12 16.25.48.jpg

Attachments

• Photo on 7-12-15 at 4.07 PM.jpg
    Photo on 7-12-15 at 4.07 PM.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi, same problem, fixed with harley metal grips, problem gone.

Greeny, do you have some part #s or model swap info? That wd be a perfect solution. Not familiar with Harleys at all.

Cat

Yeah, definitely have to wonder what your throttle cable adjustment is like too. Granted, plastic in such a critical spot is bull****; I wasn't aware the Iso-grip was built that cheap.

The gross adjustment of the throttle cable will have to happen on where they attach to the engine. You have to take off the bearclaw and probably at least loosen the expansion tank for the radiator so you can get in there and even then it's kind of cramped and hard to get at. You also have to remove some plastic bits that cover the throttle there, I think, to get at the adjuster nuts. But if your bike idles fine and otherwise behaves right then there should not be any major misadjustment of the cables.

Maybe you just crank the right handle too hard. :) But yeah, this is an annoying issue to be sure.

Last edited:
I need to find a billet sleeve or other metal grip. I'm trying to cross reference bike grips through the Kury iso grip ky- 6236 that also fits the Honda Shadow Ace 1100. I'm also going to Dremel the ridge inside the clam shell that digs into the tab. Of all things to worry about on a bike, ****.

I wonder if something like this would fit, or if there is something like it that would.

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-stock-ratio-throttle-tube/

I wouldn't mind being able to stop worrying about my throttle messing with me on a trip.

My solution is to carry an extra throttle grip in my saddlebag. It takes up virtually no space and I have even shaved the spare down so that it fits my BrakeAway throttle lock. I would love to add some heated grips, but the Avons appear to be the only option I would be interested in. I have been unable to determine if anyone has ever had an issue with an Avon tearing out. The part the throttle cable connects to is actually a separate piece that locks on the grip, but you still have to glue it on the grip. If you didn't have to glue it to the grip it would be an easy part to carry as a spare should it ever tear out. It is a dilemma! I did send an email/contact to the above website to see if they offer a replacement for the Rocket as they didn't list my bike.

Yeah I didn't get around to inquiring yet, but if you do find some metal throttle tube that works, please link it.

I carry my original in the pannier as well, but I can think of a bunch of situations where it's less than amusing to lose the throttle in traffic.

Yeah I didn't get around to inquiring yet, but if you do find some metal throttle tube that works, please link it.

I carry my original in the pannier as well, but I can think of a bunch of situations where it's less than amusing to lose the throttle in traffic.

Ya got that right!

Ditto. In the meantime, I'm installing another set of Iso-Grips and cleaning up the inside of the housing where the tabs are cut.

cat

Back