Keyless closing of fuel cap

Bubz

Supercharged
Read a few guys have had probs with their fuel caps.
Haven't done this myself as yet but planning on doing Rocket & Tiger when I have a chance..
Stole this off another forum and it has had good reviews there.

This is a mod I have done to all three of my Triumphs. Each one has been done successfully. The first one was on my Street Triple back in early 2010. From the factory by design, they key is required to unlock and open the fuel cap, and it must also be in and turned to close the fuel cap. I didnt like this.

Pros to this mod:
1. You can remove the key to reset the odometer, get something out of the bags, under the seat, etc.
2. Extra keys on the keyring wont be bumping on the paint.
3. Its cool.

Cons to this mod:
1. You could accidentally drop your keys in the tank, then accidentally close the cap locking them in??

Now, I dont have as many pictures as Id like to have for a how to, but its pretty simple. As always, proceed at your own risk.

1. The fuel cap does not have to be removed to do this mod, but its safer to reduce risk of dropping screws, springs, and parts into the tank so remove the cap first.

2. On the bottom you will see two phillips head screws holding the red portion of the cap on. Remove those and remove the red portion that holds the tang. You will then see this:

Looking in the pic, you can see a notch in the top of the tang. The notch is offset to the right and has a YELLOW arrow in the pic above. Now if you look at the bottom of the lock cylinder in the top of the cap you will see a pin that is offset. When you turn the key, this offset pin pushes the tang in, which is toward the bottom of this picture. When you turn the key to the lock position the tang moves with it. Now in stock form, the tang cannot be pushed in with the key in the lock position because the upper part of the notch, where the ORANGE arrow is pointing, will hit the pin on the lock cylinder. We are going to remove this area of the tang so the closing motion on the tapered part of the tang will push it in with the key out.

3. Remove the tang and spring from the red portion of the cap. Save the spring in a safe location as it will be reused.

4. Referring to the following pic, you want to remove material where the RED CIRCLE is. Do NOT remove anything from the area where the GREEN LINE IS or your fuel cap may not open!

5. Here is the finished tang:

6. Reassemble the tang and spring into the red portion of the cap.

7. WIth the cap off the bike, test the tang to make sure the tang fully retracts with the key and that it can be pushed in with your finger. Make sure it springs back easily.

8. Reinstall the cap in the OPEN position.

9. Close the cap carefully the first time USING THE KEY to make sure the tang will retract enough to open. After you verify this, open the cap with the key again, lock the cylinder, remove the key, then carefully and slowly close the cap making sure the tang gets pushed in by the closing motion. I had to do a little tweaking on one to get it to close smoothly, but my other two went smooth as butter from the get go.

10. Go for a nice ride.

Back