British Hillbilly

Standard Bore
Ride
1995 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Hello all! I will soon be in the market for a different motorcycle and the Rocket III Touring variant has had my eye for nigh on 10 years. I’ll save all the reasons I’m interested in it but I would love to hear what drew ya’ll to the Rocket in the first place and how it has met, exceeded, or fell short in your initial expectations. Thanks for everyone’s input in advance. It’s much appreciated!

Hello all! I will soon be in the market for a different motorcycle and the Rocket III Touring variant has had my eye for nigh on 10 years. I’ll save all the reasons I’m interested in it but I would love to hear what drew ya’ll to the Rocket in the first place and how it has met, exceeded, or fell short in your initial expectations. Thanks for everyone’s input in advance. It’s much appreciated!
Hey . this is my path to my Rocket . for me what I wanted in a muscle bike steered me right to the Rocket III . I loved the torque of this machine also the styling. I never test drove one, only saw two used ones in a dealer and sat on them. I bought is through reading reviews on it in this forum . lots of good knowledgeable guys on this forum always willing to help and give their input which is always appreciated. also watched a few videos review on you tube. i purchased a new 2018 Rocket II roadster in nov 2018. it has far exceeded of what of ever expected of this beast . my first ride on it was a blast. i was breaking it in so was taking it easy, but until you throw your leg over it and go down the road you will never know. once you get it rolling you notice how balanced and light she feels. and the low rpm torque curve makes it feel like you have instant on demand boost with a blip of the throttle. I also like that how obscure this bike is and many that see it have no idea what it is . whenever i ride her I always want to keep on riding . always looking for other places to go to extend my ride. She never ceases to put a holy sh!t and a smile on my face whenever i am on her. totally satisfied with my purchase and always look forward to riding it anytime i can. welcome to the forum it is one heck of a ride I am sure you will agree. happy motoring !!
20200820_161153.jpg

For me it's simple... I don't like cookie cutter and I wanted power and performance in a cruiser... Triumph as brand drew me in for the first point and my R3T filled the niche for the second. For the downside; getting the OEM add-ons I wanted for a '14 was quite the challenge (but worth the effort!).
-MIG :cool:

Hello Hillbilly and welcome from Virginia.

I needed a daily rider, cross-country hauler and be able to take me and my Pretty Pillion on a week long trip with everything we needed. My 2014 R3T met those requirements and now has 75K miles.

Hello Hillbilly and welcome from Virginia.

I needed a daily rider, cross-country hauler and be able to take me and my Pretty Pillion on a week long trip with everything we needed. My 2014 R3T met those requirements and now has 75K miles.
I’ve been scouring different forums and websites reference to shaft drive issues along with some transmission problems, to a lesser extent, and it seems like these are the biggest issues with these bikes. However, at 2300cc I can see how it would be easy to create your own issues by riding hard all the time or not keeping up with maintenance. I have my eye on a 2013, have you had any “out of the ordinary” issues with your 2014 in those 75k? I understand it eats tires and brakes but at 800+ pounds and aforementioned power that is to be expected.

I get 13K miles out of a set of Bridgestone Exedra Max tires. The OEM Metz are lousy when it comes to long miles.

The only drive shaft issues I have heard of are fixed by proper grease at every tire change. Those who do not but the proper amount of MolyB on the splines will eventually get a lot of rust there.

Most of the transmission issues are on the first group of bikes. Triumph issued a fix it kit back in the day and have since corrected the issue on bikes at least back to 2008 as far as I recall.

The detent spring does break on some bikes. It is an involved fix but evidently not that hard if you have a wrench skill and proper tools.

My clutch went our around 57K miles, and I have had a number of switch issues due to water or corrosion. Keep in mind I do not have a garage and the bike sleeps under a cover year round. And I ride it year round too in all sort of bad weather. And on top of that, I am notoriously known to not clean my bike except when it rains...

I get 13K miles out of a set of Bridgestone Exedra Max tires. The OEM Metz are lousy when it comes to long miles.

The only drive shaft issues I have heard of are fixed by proper grease at every tire change. Those who do not but the proper amount of MolyB on the splines will eventually get a lot of rust there.

Most of the transmission issues are on the first group of bikes. Triumph issued a fix it kit back in the day and have since corrected the issue on bikes at least back to 2008 as far as I recall.

The detent spring does break on some bikes. It is an involved fix but evidently not that hard if you have a wrench skill and proper tools.

My clutch went our around 57K miles, and I have had a number of switch issues due to water or corrosion. Keep in mind I do not have a garage and the bike sleeps under a cover year round. And I ride it year round too in all sort of bad weather. And on top of that, I am notoriously known to not clean my bike except when it rains...
Sounds like the way I treated my 2003 750 ACE, rode it pretty hard but I kept the maintenance up to date. That sounds pretty good. Thanks for the response. I’m hoping to go look at this 2013 shortly and add it to my garage. Cheers!

Back