Richard Browne

.020 Over
Ride
2009 Rocket 3 Touring and 1968 BSA Bantam...
In the past I've been a bit lax with my garage hygiene - I've got a load of old sheets which I use for protecting the floor when I'm decorating, constructing make-shift spray booths, covering my vintage bicycles when I'm sawing or grinding, or using various power tools in the garage and even covering motorbikes.

The problem with dust sheets is this - dust. Ever had decorators in? Seen them throw down dust sheets? When they leave and take their dust sheets with them, did you notice that just about everything seems to be dusty? That's why they're called dust sheets - they capture all the dust from stuff you don't care about and then deposit it all over the stuff you love.

I'm certain that this is true.

So, I've been covering my Rocket with old bedsheets, but they're old, they've been around the garage doing covering stuff for years and they are at least 40% dust. Over the past few weeks the weather has been horrible. Now, I don't mind riding in the rain and cold when I have to, but I wouldn't choose to do it when there's a choice, so the Rocket has been sat in the garage with it's nose pressed up against the window sulking about why it can't go out to play.

I decided to give it a treat - a proper wash and brush-up when the weather broke for a few hours, then something I've been meaning to do since day one. DiamondGlaze.

If you haven't come across it, DiamondGlaze is on of those ceramic paint protection "systems" which dealers try to sell you when you buy a new car. Normally they charge around £400 but I generally negotiate the price down to a mere 5x what it actually costs - around £100. Last time we bought a new car for my wife, I negotiated a couple of bottles of both the stage 1 and stage 2 liquids into the deal with the intention of coating my W650 and Bantam. Both were done and it worked well.

Not convinced? I had a Land Rover as my last car, and I had the same stuff (with a different name) applied by the dealer. When I sold the car, the dealer I PX'd it with ran an ultrasonic doohicky over the paint as a part of their assessment. The guy doing the evaluation asked if I'd had a paint treatment applied and said that he could always tell because of the depth of paint - the reading on my Land Rover was thicker than the factory paint application which showed that even after 5 years, the coating was still there doing its thing.

So, in short, I am always really cynical about anything a dealer tries to sell me, but I'll always take the paint protection. If they don't reduce the cost of it, I buy it and apply it myself - it's dead cheap and really easy to do.

Anyway, back to the story. With a proper wash and clay, I applied both protective coats, and the paint came up like glass. I was proper happy.

Now I've done this, though, I don't think the old sheets are good enough any more, to make sure that the paintwork is protected from dust, I'd like to buy a decent bike cover. This is a first for me - I've always used the bedsheets of dusty-doom!

But which one? Does anybody else have a recommendation? It's only dust protection I'm looking for - my bike lives in the garage and so I don't need any weather protection. I have the Touring, so it needs to be pretty large to cover the screen and panniers.

What do you use?

For a cheaper option look for a quad bike cover.

They are huge I got one a few years ago for the quad bike but use it more on the Rocket.

And I keep them both in the garage.

One of these days I will get around to painting the concrete floor in the garage to keep dust down.

I use one of the big zip up ones that comes with a rubber and vinyl floor. The cover is intended for outside use despite being made a soft polyester type material but quite thick with a slightly flocked interior that does melt in contact with hot pipes.

It unfortunately produces a fine layer of dust on the bike. It is a few years old and is likely due to UV degradation.

I’d use the roof, walls, n door of the garage. Not trying to be a smart @ss, but why cover the bike with something that could scratch it up when it’s in a garage? o_O
I'm with you. But if I'm say going on a trip and she might sit out in the rain I have both triumph rocket bike covers. The heavier one is outstanding quality and triumph go figure. Maybe it is the updated version of the light rain cover. :)

saw one at a dealer couple years back think it was a ktm dirt bike but on the side down side ways was in big letters were ssshhh dont wake the monster always thought was fitting for a rocket

Oh I forgot I actually bought some natural un-dyed real canvas drop sheets (12' x 5' ) cheap Au$10 (US$7) each from a local Aldi supermarket. I have used one over a bike already. They are really heavy duty canvas.

They are available every year in September for the past few years.

Aldi Deco Style heavy duty canvas drop sheet 57567
- Dimensions: 3.6m x 1.5m
- Double-sided canvas with finished hems and seams
- Natural canvas colour
- Durable and reusable
bc1ef74d75a49fdcfc8456c64425ffa056a84a8d.jpg

Thank you for the replies. Sadly, although mine is in the garage I also have an unpainted floor and concrete is hugely dusty.

I’m looking st the Oxford XL cover st the moment but I’m doubtful if it will cover the panniers.

Back