snuffcityrider

Living Legend
On the second day of my trip I'll be in your state for the first time. I already have a 600 mile day and my question is... Is it worth an extra 100 miles to see Dodge City? Anything there worth seeing? Thanks.

We used to live in KS ... grew up moving around between Enid OK and Wichita KS. Went to College in Lawrence and then lived in Overland Park (K.C.) for many years before leaving for the east coast 10yrs ago.
Personally, I don't remember anything worth going out of my way 10 miles for in Dodge City let alone 100. Been there a couple times during school trips and stuff, even Boot-Hill cemetary was a joke (it had an old pair of boots sticking out of the ground), unless something drastic happened to the place in the last 15yrs... there are giant frying pans and balls of twine more interesting. LOL

I was going to say, Dorothy died a long time ago....

Dennis

83 dtg Dubai
84 dtg Home

My buddy James and I rode through Dodge City on the way to Sturgis in 2006 and you can smell Dodge City from about 50 miles out. There's alot of cattle processing there and you can smell the concentrated cow manure from a long ways off and it gets stronger the closer you get! We didn't stay there to see anything.. lol

So it looks like Dodge City is a no go? I don't mind an ocassional whiff of that riding thru the countryside but 50 miles of it....too much for me.

Dennis

took my daughter there on the way back from Colorado 2 years ago. We spent the night did the whole wild west thing.... Checked it off the bucket list (Been there done that) We went during the annual testicle festival (Where they serve the whole town bull Balls to eat)

My buddy James and I rode through Dodge City on the way to Sturgis in 2006 and you can smell Dodge City from about 50 miles out. There's alot of cattle processing there and you can smell the concentrated cow manure from a long ways off and it gets stronger the closer you get! We didn't stay there to see anything.. lol

Okay, but is there a down side???:confused::confused::confused:

It's part of the ride 'experience'.. :) Dodge City does have a lot of history and I'm sure there are some really cool things to see there. Maybe we rode through there at a bad time of year?.. hahaha.. I'm just saying, there's a cattle processing place about 15 miles away from me and I can smell it but only when riding by it... and Dodge City was that smell times 1,000.. lol and the wind was carrying that smell a long, long way... lol.

Back