K&N triples or filter box?

3Katz

.060 Over
Ride
'06 Classic
I am getting a few pieces together for my '06 Classic, nothing major just exhaust parts and intake. Keeping the stock look is something reasonably important to me so what I'm looking at is keeping the TORS, adding a cat delete (thanks HansO) and doing the intake side. I see alot of guys run the K&N triples, my question is: where is the main intake restriction - in the intake tract or the filter itself?

Keeping in mind I'll only be doing these minor mods plus a tune to open the secondries will I get much more performance by going to triples over say a K&N (or BMC) in the filter box? If the difference is negligable at this stage of tune I'd prefer to keep the original filter location.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions

The MAJOR restriction is the connection between inner and outer plenum casings. Triples, RamAir or anything that bypasses that dual oval connection makes difference.

I chopped the top off an out plenum and added filter foam - foam in the ovals too (facing camera at bottom). I'd actually say it breathes better than triple K&N's.

I know you say keep standard but with any of the "0-plenum" systems - I'd suggest the OzClaw as it improves cold air feed. The oil tank lets a lot of hot air rise and is sucked in under the claw - That or run fully uncovered.

Back